Diabetes / Pre-diabetes

Weight Loss

High Blood Pressure

Atrial Fibrillation

Skin Health

Digestive Health

Autoimmunity
Cureality Proficiency Certifications and Awards X

This forum, including much of its vast wealth of knowledge, thousands of pages of special reports, custom tracking programs, supplement discounts, and many other features are available only to our members.

Becoming a member will allow you to view replies, make posts, and will remove the product advertising from this forum.

Member Forum >> Digestive Health Forum >> Got My VIOME Results - Part 3 of 3
 Got My VIOME Results - Part 3 of 3
Malcolm

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 1058
Post Likes: 210
Recommends Recd: 1
Ignores Issued: 0
Certs & Awards: 17   view

Post Likes: 0

Posted: 4/10/2019 9:56:46 PM

VIOME rates Metabolic Fitness from Low to High (where High is better). My result was dead center, in other words, Average (58% of VIOME’s population is average).

VIOME writes:

What is Metabolic Fitness?

An analysis of some of the microorganisms and functions that have been shown to be associated with body weight and glycemic response.

This score includes several types of microbes and pathway activities that have been shown to be associated with satiety, macronutrient use, blood sugar control, and caloric intake.

VIOME rates Inflammatory Activity from Low to High (where Low is better). My value was Low (which is achieved by just 27% of the VIOME population).

VIOME writes:

What is Inflammatory Activity?

Your microbiome’s activities and functions related to inflammation.

Several pro- and anti-inflammatory types of microbes and pathway activities are used integratively to calculate this score.

Understanding Your Score

Your score is reflective of processes taking place in your microbiome that are known to be associated with inflammation. A less than optimal score doesn’t necessarily indicate inflammation in other areas of your body.

VIOME rates Microbial Richness from Low to High (where High is better). My value was just, just into the Average range. They rate Low as 0 – 108, Average is 109 – 217, and High is 218 – 400. The Mean score is 157.

I was fairly pleased with this result considering that I’m not making any special effort to achieve high microbial richness.

VIOME writes:

What is richness?

Richness is the total number of active species of different types of bacteria in your sample. 

Higher richness can contribute to the ability of your microbiome to perform a larger variety of functions.

Understanding your score

To find out if you have richness in your microbiome, look at whether you have a High, Average or Low score.

Microbial richness is factored into your overall microbiome summary.

Finally, VIOME provides a list of all the microbes they found in my gut, which include Eukaryotes (say what?), Viruses, Bacteria, Archae (huh?), and Probiotics.

Some of these lists are very long (e.g. the Bacteria list). Some are short. I did not have any Eukaryotes (They sound creepy, don’t they?).  I had that strawberry virus and a couple of other viruses. Just one Archae (I can live with that, I think). Care to guess how many probiotics I had? A big fat ZERO.

You probably need a PhD in microbiome studies to figure this stuff out. To my understanding there is no right or wrong microbiome. Everyone’s gut is unique.

When I have more time, I’ll try to see if there is more information out there to help make some sense of this.

I’m happy I got the VIOME test. It gives me some assurance that my “wonky” diet probably won’t kill me. And I’ve learned about some more foods I could re-introduce should I so choose.

Tags:

JannyLite

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 94
Post Likes: 5
Recommends Recd: 0
Certs & Awards: 1   view

Posted: 4/11/2019 5:21:57 AM

Thanks for posting, Malcolm. Was this test covered under your insurance or, if not, what was the cost of the Viome test? Doing a lot of investigating to get to the bottom of my digestive issues these days so looking at options. Thanks.

Tags:

ramand

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 109
Post Likes: 12
Certs & Awards: 0   view

Posted: 4/11/2019 9:03:26 AM

Thanks Malcolm,
This was very informative.
Tags:

Bob Niland

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 7180
Post Likes: 1105
Recommends Recd: 6
Certs & Awards: 39   view

Post Likes: 1

Posted: 4/11/2019 9:29:29 AM
Edited: 4/11/2019 11:01:43 AM (2)

Reply Content Hidden!

Post replies longer than 250 characters or marked as Members Only are restricted to active members.

Tags:

Malcolm

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 1058
Post Likes: 210
Recommends Recd: 1
Certs & Awards: 17   view

Posted: 4/11/2019 11:32:46 AM

Reply Content Hidden!

Post replies longer than 250 characters or marked as Members Only are restricted to active members.

Tags:

JannyLite

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 94
Post Likes: 5
Certs & Awards: 1   view

Posted: 5/3/2019 4:03:11 AM
Edited: 5/3/2019 4:04:08 AM (1)

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

Mission
A Message from Dr. Davis

Seeking Your Cure
Cureality Diet
Cureality Exercise
Bone Health
Heart Health
Thyroid Health
Diabetes / Pre-diabetes
Weight Loss
High Blood Pressure