Diabetes / Pre-diabetes

Weight Loss

High Blood Pressure

Atrial Fibrillation

Skin Health

Digestive Health

Autoimmunity
Cureality Proficiency Certifications and Awards X

This forum, including much of its vast wealth of knowledge, thousands of pages of special reports, custom tracking programs, supplement discounts, and many other features are available only to our members.

Becoming a member will allow you to view replies, make posts, and will remove the product advertising from this forum.

Member Forum >> Food and Diet >> Natto and Me!
 Natto and Me!
Rodney D

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 540
Post Likes: 87
Recommends Recd: 0
Ignores Issued: 0
Certs & Awards: 16   view

Post Likes: 1

Posted: 7/24/2019 12:13:30 PM

I have been on a mission, due to one of my latest internet preoccupations, to learn all that I can about the vitamin K group. In the process I found out about the many qualities of natto and the amazing health benefit claims made about the gooey soy bean ferment. That was enough for me I had to try it, I was like a dog with a bone and wasnt going to let up until I scored some to try.

I looked locally and nothing even in the Japanese restaurant chains, lots of sushi and sashimi but no natto, Asian markets didnt have it, Whole Foods didnt have it. I decided it was time to look online for a source of quality natto because I didnt want one made from GMO soybeans which is what most soybeans are today. Searching the WWW again it was slim pickin’s even on Amazon which has everything you could want whether you need it or not. They had a dried ground powdered version or you could get the raw materials to make your own which I may use eventually. However I needed to try it first because along with the beneficial aspects touted you also hear things like “it was awful” or “it took awhile to aquire a taste”, or “I couldnt stand the taste or mouth feel”...I didnt care I was going in with an open mind.

Searching on I happened upon a product made by a great little business start-up in NYC who call themselves “Nyrture... New York Natto”. They make only natto and it is fresh made from Non GMO soy beans and Bacillus subtillus a probiotic bacteria...those are the only ingredients and it is never frozen and is packed in glass jars. So I sent an email asking if I could purchase a lesser amount of one jar because they have a four jar minimum purchase, four is fine if you know you like natto but I havent tried it yet.

The next day got an answer saying they would work with me and asked if I would be okay with two jars for economic reasons on their end. I agreed and then called my order in, had a nice chat with a very nice lady by the name of Ann, who is actually an owner who took my information...for a two jar order of “black soy bean natto”, and an “organic original”. On the phone she explained the black soy bean is a little milder and has a hint of chocolate and gave me a couple of pairing suggestions for a first timer such as adding tamari which is a wheat free soy sauce. The natto was on its way.

The next day I had a message on the phone from Ann who said she had omitted a digit from my credit card and needed the CC info again, but in the mean time she shipped the order unpaid trusting I would call her back with the info, thought that was pretty cool.

I ordered on Sunday, the package arrived on Monday I now had two jars of natto waiting for me to give it a shot, Ill also add the packaging was first rate, well buffered and had an ice pack. I was a little apprehensive to try it because of all the bad press I’d heard. I really wanted to like it and tried to prepare myself (open mind) sitting down with my first bowl dowsed with tamari sauce (non GMO) on top of sliced avocado.

For my first mouthful I had it unadulterated, sans condiment so in it goes stringy goo hanging from the spoon and...wow this is not too bad, it really does have a smokey hint of chocolate and the mouth feel is awesome, its a little bit difficult to keep it from slipping off the spoon but it’s traditionally eaten with chopsticks so I am the greenhorn here. I eat the remainder with tamari and avocado and it was delicious. I could have had more only a serving of the now wonderful bean ferment is about three Tbsp’s which contain a heaping helping of K vitamins, the probiotic B subtilis, and natokinase and being a beginner I didn’t want to OD on it...I just found a new staple in my diet.

For breakfast today I had the “organic original” with scrambled eggs and pork and I am sold, the taste is for sure different but not something that turns me off. It has the taste of beans, is a little bit bitter and smokey and gooey...Mmmm.

Dr D, I can understand how a kid might find the taste and texture a little funky.

Tags: natto

PrimalType1

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 79
Post Likes: 23
Certs & Awards: 0   view

Post Likes: 0

Posted: 7/24/2019 8:20:32 PM

Thanks for sharing this!  I’ve often wondered about natto and may work up the courage to go this route as well. 

Tags:

RandallBB

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 39

Posted: 7/25/2019 9:24:12 AM

Reply Content Hidden!

Post replies longer than 250 characters or marked as Members Only are restricted to active members.

Tags:

Rodney D

No Avatar

Posted: 7/25/2019 9:43:13 AM

Reply Content Hidden!

Post replies longer than 250 characters or marked as Members Only are restricted to active members.

Tags:

Dr. Davis

No Avatar
Cureality Staff

Posts Contributed: 8116
Post Likes: 1043
Recommends Recd: 14

Posted: 7/25/2019 9:47:30 AM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

Rodney D

No Avatar

Posted: 7/25/2019 10:06:09 AM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

RandallBB

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 39

Posted: 7/27/2019 7:51:29 AM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

Rodney D

No Avatar

Posted: 7/27/2019 10:19:45 AM

Thanks Randall, thats a pretty good price for basically three servings, I’d like to find an Asian market out here that has it, maybe in Providence, RI. I tried the link for Asian Grocer but the domain name is for sale for whatever reason.

Tags:

Dr. Davis

No Avatar
Cureality Staff

Posted: 7/27/2019 5:25:17 PM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

Rodney D

No Avatar

Posted: 11/6/2019 1:23:02 PM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

Brehon

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 50
Post Likes: 4

Posted: 11/7/2019 12:46:26 AM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

Dr. Davis

No Avatar
Cureality Staff

Posted: 11/7/2019 12:15:20 PM

Hey, what a terrific idea making a chickpea natto! 

Has anyone tried it? I think I shall from the Nattomoto product. 

Tags:

Rodney D

No Avatar

Posted: 11/7/2019 1:45:26 PM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

searcher7

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 1988
Post Likes: 280
Recommends Recd: 5
Certs & Awards: 39   view

Posted: 11/7/2019 4:49:11 PM
Edited: 11/7/2019 4:50:09 PM (1)

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags: ,K-2

Toby Lime

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 361
Post Likes: 14

Posted: 11/8/2019 9:25:41 AM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

Rodney D

No Avatar

Posted: 11/8/2019 11:31:56 AM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

Toby Lime

No Avatar

Posted: 11/8/2019 1:17:23 PM

... they look really cute LOL
Tags:

Toby Lime

No Avatar

Posted: 11/9/2019 11:22:51 AM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

Rodney D

No Avatar

Posted: 11/9/2019 11:53:05 AM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

Mission
A Message from Dr. Davis

Seeking Your Cure
Cureality Diet
Cureality Exercise
Bone Health
Heart Health
Thyroid Health
Diabetes / Pre-diabetes
Weight Loss
High Blood Pressure