Diabetes / Pre-diabetes

Weight Loss

High Blood Pressure

Atrial Fibrillation

Skin Health

Digestive Health

Autoimmunity
Cureality Proficiency Certifications and Awards X

This forum, including much of its vast wealth of knowledge, thousands of pages of special reports, custom tracking programs, supplement discounts, and many other features are available only to our members.

Becoming a member will allow you to view replies, make posts, and will remove the product advertising from this forum.

Member Forum >> Bowel Flora and Digestive Health >> L. casei Shirota yogurt to boost the immune response against respiratory viruses
 L. casei Shirota yogurt to boost the immune response against respiratory viruses
Dr. Davis

No Avatar
Cureality Staff

Posts Contributed: 8590
Post Likes: 1192
Recommends Recd: 14
Ignores Issued: 0
Certs & Awards: 0   view

Post Likes: 0

Posted: 3/25/2020 1:08:01 PM
Edited: 3/28/2020 7:54:53 AM (4)

Enhancing our immune response is a worthwhile strategy to protect ourselves against viral infections, whether flu, rhinovirus (common cold), or coronavirus (COVID-19).
I’ve talked previously about how the basic Undoctored strategy of wheat/grain elimination reduces metabolic endotoxemia provoked by the gliadin protein that increases intestinal permeability; how wheat/grain elimination and sugar limitation avoids the drop in immune response that follows high blood sugars; how vitamin D restoration restores T-cell immunity against viruses (as well as against autoimmune conditions and cancers).

I’ve also discussed how our L. reuteri yogurt, because it provokes hypothalamic release of oxytocin, may reverse thymic involution of aging, i.e., atrophy of the thymus gland in the chest that is the seat of T-cell immunity. Thymus gland atrophy is responsible for immunosenescence, i.e., loss of immunity with aging. So far, every observation surrounding L. reuteri and oxytocin made in experimental models has held true in humans: accelerated skin healing, augmentation of dermal collage deposition. reduction in appetite (anorexigenic effect), etc. It is therefore likely that this aspect of oxytocin likely applies to humans, too, though not yet fully corroborated. I’ve also discussed how reducing/eliminating another cause of metabolic endotoxemia, SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth), also reduces body-wide inflammation that impairs immunity.
I’d like to further explore another immune system-building strategy: cultivating the probiotic bacterial species Lactobacillus casei subspecies Shirota. Human clinical trials have demonstrated marked enhancement of the immune response accompanied by reduced susceptibility to respiratory infections and accelerated recovery should infection occur.
Among the effects, both immune-enhancing and otherwise, of administration of L. casei Shirota include:
One potential downside: Many of these studies were funded by the manufacturer of L. casei Shirota, introducing potential financial bias. However, I did not list the studies that demonstrated negative effects such as no reduction in allergic rhinitis and no improvements in blood sugar and measures of insulin resistance (including HbA1c, HOMA, fasting insulin) in obese pre-diabetic males, suggesting that there was no push to only publish positive outcomes. There is, no doubt, potential for bias but the weight of positive evidence that all point in the similar direction of enhancement of the immune response and reduction of inflammatory biomarkers suggest that these are likely genuine findings.

This strain of L. casei is commercially available in the U.S. as the Yakult brand of probiotic beverage, available through selected retailers, only having been introduced on a national basis since 2019. (Here is a store locator.) As with most commercially-prepared beverages, the manufacturer of Yakult does stupid things like use non-fat dairy and add sugar, so I would not recommend consuming Yakult off the shelf. I would instead suggest getting hold of some of the product, then making yogurt (or other fermented product) yourself. And we, of course, do not subscribe to typical yogurt-making rules and instead 1) ferment for extended periods of 24 or more hours and 2) ferment in the presence of prebiotic fibers to increase bacterial counts and richness of the end-product. Each 80 ml (2.7 ounce) bottle (5 servings) contains 6.5 billion CFUs of L. casei; a tablespoon or so provides more than enough to get you started.

Tags:

Michael David

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 83
Post Likes: 13
Recommends Recd: 0

Posted: 3/26/2020 6:23:39 AM

thank you for innovating, research and continuing to push us on varieties. Yakult is on my shopping list for my next trip out.  I will make a batch.     Michael

Tags:

Michael David

No Avatar

Posted: 3/26/2020 9:11:00 AM

Reply Content Hidden!

Post replies longer than 250 characters or marked as Members Only are restricted to active members.

Tags:

Iron Man

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 145
Post Likes: 20

Posted: 3/27/2020 10:06:05 PM

Reply Content Hidden!

Post replies longer than 250 characters or marked as Members Only are restricted to active members.

Tags:

Dr. Davis

No Avatar
Cureality Staff

Posts Contributed: 8590
Post Likes: 1192
Recommends Recd: 14

Posted: 3/28/2020 7:57:52 AM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

netwurk

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 127
Post Likes: 9
Certs & Awards: 3   view

Posted: 3/28/2020 1:50:56 PM

Quoted From Dr. Davis : Yes, freezing should be fine. You’ll know for certain if/when you seed a new batch from frozen product. 

How long can the frozen yogurt starter last? 

Tags:

Bob Niland

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 9630
Post Likes: 1408
Recommends Recd: 8
Certs & Awards: 39   view

Posted: 3/28/2020 2:00:21 PM
Edited: 3/30/2020 3:44:17 PM (1)

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

Toby Lime

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 885
Post Likes: 64

Posted: 3/29/2020 11:20:59 AM

I will be making my second attempt to do LC- yogurt. My husband discharge the starter from the first batch, so I will start with the yacult again... :)

Tags:

mgcolorado

No Avatar

Posts Contributed: 29
Post Likes: 2

Posted: 3/30/2020 3:01:03 PM

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

Michael David

No Avatar

Posted: 3/30/2020 4:05:32 PM
Edited: 3/30/2020 4:15:36 PM (1)

Reply Content Hidden!

Tags:

Mission
A Message from Dr. Davis

Seeking Your Cure
Cureality Diet
Cureality Exercise
Bone Health
Heart Health
Thyroid Health
Diabetes / Pre-diabetes
Weight Loss
High Blood Pressure