DHEA and Lp(a)

DHEA supplementation is among my favorite ways to deal with the often-difficult lipoprotein(a), Lp(a).

DHEA is a testosterone-like adrenal hormone that declines with age, such that a typical 70-year old has blood levels around 10% that of a youthful person. DHEA is responsible for physical vigor, strength, libido, and stamina. It also keeps a lid on Lp(a).

While the effect is modest, DHEA is among the most consistent for obtaining reductions in Lp(a). A typical response would be a drop in Lp(a) from 200 nmol/L to 180 nmol/L, or 50 mg/dl to 42 mg/dl--not big responses, but very consistent responses. While there are plenty of non-responders to, say, testosterone (males), DHEA somehow escapes this inconsistency.

Rarely will DHEA be sufficient as a sole treatment for increased Lp(a), however. It is more helpful as an adjunct, e.g., to high-dose fish oil (now our number one strategy for Lp(a) control in the Track Your Plaque program), or niacin.

Because the "usual" 50 mg dose makes a lot of people bossy and aggressive, I now advise people to start with 10 mg. We then increase gradually over time to higher doses, provided the edginess and bossiness don't creep out.

The data documenting the Lp(a)-reducing effect of DHEA are limited, such as this University of Pennsylvania study, but in my real life experience in over 300 people with Lp(a), I can tell you it works.

And don't be scared by the horror stories of 10+ years ago when DHEA was thought to be a "fountain of youth," prompting some to take megadose DHEA of 1000-3000 mg per day. Like any hormone taken in supraphysiologic doses, weird stuff happens. In the case of DHEA, people become hyperaggressive, women grow mustaches and develop deep voices. DHEA doses used for Lp(a) are physiologic doses within the range ordinarily experienced by youthful humans.

1/16/2011 4:39:07 PM |

I recently had this test as part of my blood work and have a level of 34, which is very low.  My doctor advised just as you have to start low and go slow watching how I feel.

This along with some other hormone supplementation has helped my overall well being and energy.  I can't remember when I had my last energy crash.

As always, Thanks!

• Mike

1/16/2011 5:50:53 PM |

Interesting stuff, Dr Davis, regarding treating Lp(a) w/ DHEA.

What are your thoughts on the efficacy of increasing/maintaining natural endogenous secretion via strength training and/or caloric restriction?

This is something I'm becoming more interested in as I creep closer to 40.

1/16/2011 9:35:42 PM |

Hi, Mike--

I should have mentioned that I only suggest DHEA supplementation for these purposes in people age 40 and over.

Your idea of endogenous enhancement is the preferred, though relatively modest, route in younger people.

Thanks for reminding me.

• Hotwife Admin

1/16/2011 11:48:46 PM |

I’m very interested in trying DHEA for this very reason. I’m am a 43 year old male in good health but who had very high cholesterol. I am currently using high strength fish oil and niacin along with cutting out most carbs from my diet. I have lost about 7 kilo since doing this and had some great plummets in my cholesterol. Problem is as I live in Australia we cannot get access to DHEA without paying obscene amounts of money via compounding pharmacies and doctor scripts as it’s a class 1 drug that is illegal. I know in the states you can get it as a nutritional supplement but Australia is backwards in this sense. Do you or any readers know of any sympathetic doctors who are interested in male health and would prescribe DHEA? It seems criminal that we cannot access the health benefits of this because of government bureaucracy.
    Cheers from South Australia
    Dave

• Might-o'chondri-AL

1/17/2011 12:59:26 AM |

Young people produce at least 12mg./day of DHEA; when we reach +/- age 30 our production of DHEA normally drops. I am led to believe that decline is +/- 2 mg./d. for every decade of our life past 30.

So, for an average patient of (say) 50 years supplementing daily with 10 mg. DHEA: the first 4 mg. is serves to "top up" the natural ageing deficit. The remaining 6 mg. is providing a 50% bonus level for the circulatory system to use thwarting Apo(a).

Sounds relatively safe intake. I'd like to hear if Apo(a)patients, who took it regularly in middle age, would be taking (say) +/- 15 mg. DHEA daily when they are in their 70's.

• Becky

1/17/2011 2:07:56 AM |

I am 58 years old and was recently tested and had levels of 4.510 ng/mL.  What levels do you recommend as targets for someone wishing to treat Lp(a)?

1/17/2011 3:51:24 AM |

I have long been fascinated with DHEA but I read too many horror stories on Wikipedia and Consumerlabs.com about the dangers. Cancer, lowering of HDL, and aggressiveness are big turn offs. How do we balance these risks with the risk of heart disease?

-- Boris

• JC

1/17/2011 1:30:34 PM |

Problems with DHEA supplementation.

• ben

1/17/2011 2:50:08 PM |

What do you think/know about magnesium oil's effect in raising levels of DHEA? I take oral magnesium in the form of Natural Calm (citrate i think) but three months ago I also started rubbing magnesium oil into my skin. I have read that this type of transdermal magnesium application raises DHEA levels. Any truth there, Dr.? Thanks

1/17/2011 3:17:30 PM |

What is a good brand name DHEA, and can it be found in less than 50 mg tabs?

Thank you.

1/17/2011 5:03:23 PM |

Anonymous,

I would recommend Life Extension brand of DHEA. I have had excellent results with Life Extension products over the years. They are a little more costly, but I believe the quality is top notch. Unfortunately however, the smallest dose of DHEA that LEF makes is 15mg.

Here is what Ray Sahelian, M.D. says about DHEA:

I myself had low levels of DHEA and low testosterone and I took DHEA (starting at 25mg and going all the way up to 75mg) and while my DHEA levels went up to the upper end of the reference range, my testosterone only increased by 9%-10%. I ended up discontinuing the DHEA because I couldn't get my testosterone levels up sufficiently and I was concerned about possible longer term side effects even though I didn't really experience any of the horror stories you read about online.

I don't have Lp(a) problems, but if I did, I would consider taking DHEA again in lower doses (15mg-25mg for me) however.

Hope this helps.

1/18/2011 2:51:56 AM |

I've been taking the stuff since my mid-30s and found it to be great for general energy, mood and body composition. However, I've never been able to take more than 15 mg a day. That's low for a male, I know, but 25 or more and I get ferocious acne.

• Maggie

1/18/2011 5:53:12 AM |

I was taking 10mg DHEA but have switched to 7-KETO (just 25mg a day at present). I believe that 7-KETO, as a naturally occurring metabolite reduces the risk of DHEA side effects, so was this a good idea?

(I am a 50-something female.)

1/18/2011 1:21:34 PM |

Hi, Ben--

Sorry, no knowledge.

I did ask one of the manufacturers of topical magnesium preparations (creams, epsom salts) whether they had any data in humans showing effects on magnesium blood levels. They said they had not generated any nor were aware of any.

Several commenters--

The "horror stories" surrounding DHEA all refer to the higher, supraphysiologic doses I mentioned, not the low, physiologic replacement doses we use for Lp(a).

Also, this is about DHEA for Lp(a), not DHEA for youth preservation. Two different perspectives.

• JC

1/18/2011 1:39:27 PM |

Q: I've been feeling really tired for a while now. My doctor checked my DHEA level which was very very low -- less than the level typical for an 80 yr. old woman and I am less than half of that! Could you please suggest some supplements for me? I know that there are DHEA supplements but these aren't available in Canada. Is there something else I can take? Thanks!

A: I have never been a fan of hormonal substitutes, including glandulars. With hormone replacements there is a great risk of atrophying the glands that normally produce the hormones. There are two reasons for this. One is a feedback mechanism in which if high hormone levels are perceived in the body the gland will be shut down to compensate. Secondly, glands are like muscles and must be worked to be kept healthy. Substituting for the glands makes them weak over time. I have seen some people claim that DHEA does not atrophy glands like other hormones, but rather leaves the adrenals producing the same level of hormones. Of course even if DHEA was not atrophying the glands and was leaving the glands to produce DHEA at the same level then the adrenals would still be producing at a diminished output. Therefore, the DHEA would do nothing to boost adrenal performance.

DHEA is classified as a weak androgen (male hormone). It is converted in to estrogen and testosterone, but not the balancing progesterone. This may lead to problems of elevated estrogen, including weight gain, thyroid dysfunction, problems with blood sugar, and problems with elevated testosterone, including increased body hair, and loss of scalp hair. There is also a lot of concern about the possibility of causing cancer or promoting existing cancers. There is not enough known about the actual long term effects of this hormone. Many of the studies on DHEA were done on rats, which do not have the same chemistry of humans. And the few human studies I have seen on DHEA were short term studies looking for improvement of certain symptoms, not side effects including the risk of adrenal atrophy. Overall I really think that DHEA supplements should be avoided!

DHEA is normally thought to decline due to age, though this is not necessarily the case. Primary production of DHEA occurs in the adrenal glands. Therefore adrenal function may directly affect DHEA levels. And the majority of the people are exposed daily to two of the biggest weakening factors for the adrenals, stress and stimulants. Stress can be physical, such as pain, or emotional. And both can be increased by reduced adrenal function since the adrenals produce the anti-inflammatories and anti-stress hormones for the body. Stimulants include caffeine, ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, and nicotine. Various pharmaceuticals can weaken adrenal function. The best known of these are steroids, such as Prednisone. Though anti-seizure medications, antifungals, cold medications, asthma medications, etc. can also cause adrenal weakness.

In short it is safer and more effective to build up your adrenal glands so they will produce their own DHEA at proper levels, rather than raising levels artificially to abnormally high levels. This is best addressed with vitamin C and pantothenic acid, the most important nutrients for proper adrenal function, and adaptogenic herbs. Adaptogenic herbs get their name from their ability to help people to adapt to stress by improving adrenal function.

Add To Favorites!

• xenesis

1/18/2011 4:08:03 PM |

You have provided very nice information regarding testosterone supplements through your blog. Xenesis-T and Xenesis-EP for men and women a remedy for low Testosterone treatment, it will. It is the 100% natural supplement to overcome Testosterone problems.

1/18/2011 4:51:44 PM |

At a dose of 50 mg daily, DHEA has not resulted in any decrease of HDL for me.

• Might-o'chondri-AL

1/18/2011 7:02:49 PM |

Adrenal genetic factors will not let everyone respond to "boosting". Of course, the same genetic quirks imply high dose DHEA (de-hydro-epi-andro-sterone)is not wise.

Worldwide +/- 1:1,000 develop late onset congenital adrenal hyper-plasia; among Hispanics 1.9%, Italians 0.3%, Slavs 1.6%,
    Ashkenazi Jews 3.7% and caucasians generally 0.1%. Hirsutism (face hair) is an easy sign in women; adult acne for both genders.

A genetic enzyme 21-hydroxylase deficiency is the rate limiting factor in 95% of these cases. Then low amounts of cortisol are made. Signals for more, by cortico-tropins, "whips" the adrenal cortex; trying to get more cortisol output. But, the inability to synthesize cortisol makes all those building blocks go into production of androgens.

Additionally, there are 12 known genetic mutations of the gluco-dorticoid receptors. These make the body "resistant" to deal with the cortisol in circulation. Without de-activation (receptors a first step) into cortisone the cortisol level stays elevated.

In this situation both adrenals are, in a sense, overworking for no purpose. Progressively this leads to arterial hyper-tension down the way. So-called gluco-corticoid resistance, as a syndrome, develops in 10% of the elderly.

Point being that genetics, and the epigenetics of age, are some reasons why not everyone will respond to a "natural" plan. It also explains how different people respond to supplement dose of DHEA.

Paradoxically, genetics that mean patient can't be made to do what others can backs up Doc Davis' clinical DHEA use. If it is for combating high Lp(a) with small doses of DHEA.

1/19/2011 5:29:09 AM |

I've never heard of topical magnesium supplements. It's awfully hard to imagine effective delivery of a cation/ionic salt through intact skin. Nor can I see any advantage in trying. Oral Magnesium supplements are readily absorbed and cheap. I'm also skeptical of claims that magnesium would optimize DHEA levels in most people. Magnesium is integral to the function of many enzymes, but unless it's the rate-limiting step in DHEA production and someone has a serious deficiency, I can't imagine how more magnesium would fix the issue. One CAN make a decent pharmacokinetic argument in favor of topical DHEA to minimize first-pass metabolism etc.

• Onschedule

1/19/2011 6:41:37 AM |

There's nothing like a warm bath with Epsom salt... I do believe magnesium is well absorbed through the skin, though I am ignorant of how it compares with oral supplementation. I get the same effects (deep sleep, vivid dreams) as with oral supplementation, only more pronounced with the bath.

• Kelly A.

1/20/2011 5:55:41 PM |

My Lp(a) result was zero when I tested it a few years ago.

Was this inherited and will it likely always be absent? I can't find much if any info on nonexistent Lp(a).

1/23/2011 10:49:00 PM |

I take 12.5 mg DHEA twice daily with no side effects - I just feel better. I am sure I was deficient - I plan on testing soon. I'm 43.

• kris

2/28/2011 11:59:31 PM |

i tried 25mg and it drove me nuts. cut it down to 12.5mg and all of the crazy symptoms gone and i feel much better ocer all. wife tried 12.5mg and she felt bad. she cut it down to 6mg and she is fine too. thank you so much Dr. Davis

4/13/2011 10:53:52 AM |

Thank you for your valuable post.  We have decided to share it with our global physician audience at PhysicianNexus.com:

Jaerou Kim
    Team Member
    www.PhysicianNexus.com
    Physicians Comparing Treatments Worldwide

• kim

6/4/2011 11:28:12 PM |

Boris,

Based on 15 years of study and research, I would say (and truly without sarcasm) for you to stay away from Wikipedia (who get their info from google, FDA and American Medical Assoc) all of which are political agencies who DO NO ACTUAL RESEARCH THEMSELVES, but get their info from pharmacueitcal companies who HATE vitamins and nutritional supplements because they cannot patent them and make any money.

The horror stories that you have read at those sites are simply opinions of people who took as the gospel media soundbites on reported research and did not search out viable valid resources who study the actual research reports.

Dr. William Davis (of this site) is actually a very good resource for your valid health information.

Now stay away from those silly sites you cited and you can Live long and prosper.

Best of Health To You

Looking for health in all the wrong places

Looking for health in all the wrong places

The American public now has unprecedented freedom to explore new directions in health.

Never before have we had the enormous resources now available to add to our health experience: nutritional supplements, endless books on health and diet, the internet, online discussion groups, insurance products to permit spending on self-directed health services like medical savings accounts and flex-spending. The Track Your Plaque program is just one facet of this emerging and exciting area of self-empowerment in health. Compare what you can achieve with such a program with the situation of just 25 years ago, when the most you might get to reduce your risk for heart disease was to take the (largely ineffective) drug cholestyramine, probucol, and a low-cholesterol, low-fat diet.

Unfortunately, it also means that people have unrestrained potential to be tripped up, to be misled down some dead end of health that fails to accomplish desired goals, maybe even dangerous. The more freedom we have, the greater the choices, the more room we have to screw up.

Among the unproductive strategies I've witnessed recently:

--Nattokinase--The staying power of this scam continues to shock me. There is no rational basis for its use. A woman today declared that she would like to stop the warfarin that she was taking to prevent stroke from atrial fibrillation by taking nattokinase. This would be a mistake that could cost her a major and disabling, even fatal, stroke. Though warfarin is far from perfect, it at least achieves its goal of reducing stroke risk. Nattokinase does not. Nattokinase does nothing but make money for the people who sell it.

--Poly-nutritional supplements. You've heard of polypharmacy, the phenomenon of taking numerous medications with overlapping effects and side-effects, usually because of multiple doctors, each prescribing drugs without knowledge or interest in what colleagues are prescribing. I'm seeing the same phenomenon with supplements: 20,30, or more supplements per day, all in the hopes of heightening health. A focused few supplements is, in my view, superior to a shotgun approach of trying to improve health by taking hawthorne, silymarin, chrysin, calcium, Chinese herbs, and 25 other supplements.

--Chelation--Based on the notion that heavy metal toxicity causes heart disease; removal of heavy metals cures it. I've read some of the books on chelation, in addition to the slim scientific data, to decide whether there was anything to it. In my view, it is a complete and utter scam. It does make money for its practitioners, however. That's not to say that heavy-metal chelation doesn't have a role in health--it does. But it serves no purpose in coronary disease prevention and control.

--Colonic purges--Achieved by a number of routes, some oral, others via enema. Promotions for purging are often accompanied by a pile of scum that apparently lined somebody's intestinal tract. Purges purportedly, well, purge it from the intestine. This is also plain nonsense. There is no such toxic scum lining anybody's intestinal tract. However, if calorie restriction or a fast results inadvertently from the effort, perhaps some good comes from it.

--Statin drug alternatives--The unprecedented $27 billion dollar a year success of the statin drug industry, accompanied by the enormous marketing push by their manufacturers, has spawned an entire industry of statin alternatives. They range from red yeast rice, to guggulipid, to various concoctions of sterol esters, Chinese herbs, chitosan, and a variety of others. Some actually do reduce cholesterol a few points. Preparations like red yeast rice even pose a side-effect profile not too different from the prescription statin agents. Unfortunately, even among those agents that work, the effects tend to be small to trivial. While I am no lover of statin drugs nor the statin drug industry, I find these preparations to be anemic imitators. You'd be better off with raw nuts and ground flaxseed than wasting your money on these cheap imitations.

--Worries about liver toxicity--A day doesn't go by that I don't have at least several questions about suffering toxic liver effects from niacin, vitamin D, statin drugs, etc. I have treated thousands of patients for heart disease in its various stages and forms and have used many different strategies. How many times have I seen serious liver toxicity? A handful of times and usually from either mis-use of the agent or drug, or in a person with several other coexisting diseases. (Other serious health conditions, like kidney failure, raise the toxicity of drugs and supplements.) Liver toxicity in the vast majority of otherwise healthy people is close to being a non-concern.

Readers of The Heart Scan Blog and of the Track Your Plaque website know that I celebrate expansion of knowledge and information access to the public. However, I am concerned that the flip side of this growing self-empowerment is expanding potential for mistakes. It reminds me of an attorney friend, who, when diagnosed with prostate cancer, explored all manner of alternative treatments, from laetrile to heavy metal chelation to high-dose lycopene tablets. At the initial stage of diagnosis, his cancer was readily treatable. He now has widely metastatic cancer.

Maintain an open mind, but think before you commit to some crazed claim of cure, some "secret" to health, somebody's brazen but concealed attempt at steering profits in their direction.

With freedom comes responsibility. Otherwise, you might be looking for love . . .oops, I mean health . . . in all the wrong places.

2/12/2008 6:52:00 AM |

What are your views on certain supplements that show promise in regard to heart health, but haven't been fully proven yet? Such as resveratrol, grape seed extract,  pomegranate, green tea, krill oil, aged garlic, cocoa, etc.

Are they safe and worthwhile to take,  or would you consider them a risk for certain patients?

Unfortunately, we can't always go to our family doctor or cardiologist (at least generally speaking), give them a list of supplements that potentially could be beneficial, and ask their opinion. 99% of the time they'll be clueless, or simply give vague suggestions, or possibly worse, give bad advice. I had one cardiologist recommend flush-free niacin to me  (the non-beneficial type), for instance.

• ALANSD

2/12/2008 5:52:00 PM |

Its very hard as a health conscious consumer, to know what supplements to use, and at what dosage. There is so much conflicting information available.
    I take a small handful of vitamins, amino acids and minerals daily. I eat really well, and exercise regularly, and still have trouble controlling my hypertension.My recent heart scan showed a score of 99.  I have been looking to supplements to help, but so far the help has been minimal. Am I looking for help in all the wrong places too?

• GerryL

2/12/2008 7:32:00 PM |

It can get frustrating even for those with a long time interest in nutrition and health. Along with my dietary and exercise regimen I take folic acid to help lower triglycerides. Then I come across a report from a newsletter that cited the Norwegian Vitamin Trial (NORVIT) and said " Folic acid supplementation was found to lower homocysteine levels by 28%., but to increase relative risks of heart attack, stroke, and death by 20%, along with a more than a 30% increase in cancer." The source recommends that NO folic acid supplements be taken outside of naturally occurring food sources.
    Another newsletter by another doctor advises against  any supplementation of Vitamin D outside of natural sunshine.
    Frustrating.

2/12/2008 9:20:00 PM |

Please clarify your comments on Nattokinase: is this not the same food item that's high in vitamin K2, which if I understand it correctly, helps to put calcium into the bones (along with D3), so that there's less calcium going to the arteries and causing plaque.

If my understanding of K3, and that nattokinase has very high amouns of K3 in it, is correct, then are you saying that Nattokinase is not a suitable replacement for blood thinners or stroke prevention, but that it does have desirable effects for directing calcium to bones, instead of arterial plaques?

I went in for a colonoscopy recently, and did various preps for it, the most powerful one for me was the mag citrate. My photos from the colonoscopy showed pink healthy looking tissue (whew), which led me to think that expensive colon cleanses probably weren't necessary. I'd never done one, but had read about them in the past.

When I did read about them, I remember wondering if hydrogen peroxide enemas did the same thing as those oxy-cleansers. Thankfully I've never had to perform one of the more 'exotic' enemas, but I do remember our teachers warning us to use plastic gowns and stand clear if we ever had to give one.

S

• moblogs

2/12/2008 11:33:00 PM |

I think it's desperation that often leads to the wrong places. I don't have any heart problems but it is an almost certified route to the grave in my family tree later in life, so with remaining youth I'm able to research things calmly. I visit here mainly as my own research gels with things you say.
    I think the key thing is to entertain claims that are referenced and peer reviewed; even a good 'oddball' thought makes it into PubMed. And then there's no reason why an abstract couldn't be printed and discussed with an open minded doctor to look at a route that might be best for the patient.
    I think in a sadistic way we like doctors to be fairly arrogant and say "this is your problem, do as I say", but we also know that at the end of the day it's you who cares about you the most. And it's simply terror that leads people into the first arms of saviour they see.

• jpatti

2/13/2008 10:06:00 AM |

My opinion regarding "resveratrol, grape seed extract, pomegranate, green tea, krill oil, aged garlic, cocoa, etc." is... these are not supplements, these are foods.

A whole heck of a lot of folks take a lot of ridiculously expensive "supplements" that can easily be replaced by actual food.

You know what phosphatidyl choline is?  An expensive supplement... or a dead-cheap product lecithin used in baking to assist emulsification.  In short, it makes your smoothies smoother for almost no money.

Cocoa?  Who would *supplement* cocoa? I mean... COCOA?  Is eating chocolate now some sort of chore that is easier to accomplish by taking a pill?  I eschew sugar, but don't find it difficult to get sufficient cocoa in my diet even so.  I seriously doubt there's many folks running around suffering cocoa deficiencies.  I mean, if you deeply despise chocolate, maybe take a cocoa supplement, but for the rest of us, eating cocoa is generally a lot more pleasant when it's NOT wrapped in a capsule.

I take supplements.  In fact, I take rather a lot of them.  I take a multivitamin (without iron), vitamin D3 (just started a supplement with K2 also), and fish oil, which I recommend to everyone, most especially those with metabolic syndrome.  These are cheap and sure don't hurt - one of the easiest things you can do for your health.

I also take a B complex, panthothenic acid, niacin, calcium, CoQ10 and milk thistle - each for specific reasons relative to my own health.

But resveratol and cocoa?  Why not a glass of wine and a piece of dark chocolate?

Why take a pomegranate supplement, eating pomegrantaes works pretty darned well for me.  Pomegrantaes are darned yummy.

Turmeric, cinnamon and garlic are all lovely foods - and were so before anyone ever did any research into them.

CLA is the new wonder fatty acid - and you can get gobs of it by eating pasture-raised meat and dairy, which is a heck of a lot more pleasant than swallowing pills.

Food is better than pills.

OK, we know about vitamin K2 now, but it's a fairly new discovery.  People who just went around eating cheese were getting it even before it was in pills.

The nutrients that will be discovered next month, next year and next decade are in foods *today*.

Just eat good food... a wide variety of organic vegetables, as much fruit as your blood glucose tolerates, lots of wholesome meat and dairy from pasture-raised or wild animals, good fats like olive and avocado oils, grains like barley and buckwheat, nuts and seeds, lots of fresh herbs and spices - you'll "cover" all the supplements they aren't even selling yet.

2/13/2008 2:08:00 PM |

I meant "K2" in my comment above.

S

2/13/2008 5:39:00 PM |

------------

As the originator of the post with reference to the above 'supplements', I somewhat agree -- I just used a general term of 'supplement' to describe them. You can get some of them via food.

But I can't drink wine, so resveratrol and grape seed would have to be in capsule form. And for high doses of resveratrol, supplements are the only way, as it would take several bottles of red wine daily. Aged garlic is different than regular garlic, and is a lot easier to take as a supplement. It's also a lot kinder on your breath and digestion.  And I don't think many people will be sitting down and eating a nice bowl of krill.

My main question was in regard to them being considered worthwhile to take (in any form), and how do we go about verifying what is beneficial, without a doctor to rely on.

2/13/2008 10:29:00 PM |

Decrying all supplements is similar to running down all prescription drugs. One has to be selective. Some prescription drugs are helpful for some people. So it is with supplements. If the supplement supplies something your body needs it may help. For example, 15 years ago I found that Saw Palmeto helped my prostate. It still does today, and others have found it helpful too.

• Rich

2/15/2008 5:50:00 AM |

The NIH study on chelation should have some results soon.

Rich

• HeartCipher

5/8/2008 9:13:00 PM |

There seems to be a clear correlation in my ALT value between my taking the LEF Mega Silymarin product.  When I've taken it, my ALT goes down.  But I've usually stopped taking it after just a few months.

I'm now thinking that I need to give it a good 6 month to a year trial.

The "Jedi Master" I've been working with just today told me that I need to be cautious about the possibility of having NAFLD.

So, it seems to me that Mega Silymarin is a must do.