Dr. Dwight Lundell on omega-3s and CLA

An interview with Dr. Dwight Lundell, cardiac surgeon and author of the new book, "The Cure for Heart Disease."

Dr. Lundell comes to us with a unique pedigree. He is a cardiothoracic surgeon practicing in the Phoenix, Arizona, area. Despite having performed thousands of coronary bypass operations, including numerous "off-pump" procedures earning him a place in the Beating Heart Hall of Fame and a listing in Phoenix Magazine’s Top Doctors for 10 years, more recently Dr. Lundell has turned his attentions away from traditional surgical treatment and towards prevention of heart disease and.

In particular, Dr. Lundell is a vocal advocate for omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil and conjugated linoleic acid, or CLA.

When I heard about Dr. Lundell’s unique perspectives, I asked him if he’d like to tell us a little more about his ideas. Here follows a brief interview with Dr. Lundell.

You’re a vocal advocate of the role of omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil in heart disease prevention. Can you tell us how you use it?

In my book, I recommend 3 g of fish oil daily. This would normally yield about 1000 mg of EPA and DHA depending on the concentration of the supplement. This is approximately the dose that reduced sudden cardiac death by 50%, and all cause death, by 25% in patients with previous heart attack.

In patients with signs of chronic inflammation such as heart disease, obesity, arthritis, metabolic syndrome or depression or in those patients with elevation of CRP, I would recommend higher doses, 2000 to 3000 mg per day of EPA and DHA. The FDA has approved up to 3400 mg for treating patients with severely elevated triglycerides.

I personally take a 2000 mg EPA and DHA per day because I have calcium in my coronary arteries.

Of course, in the Track Your Plaque program we track coronary calcium scores. Do you track any measures of atherosclerosis in your patients to chart progression or regression?

Carotid ultrasound with measurement of IMT [intimal-medial thickness] has been shown to be a good surrogate marker for coronary disease, as has vascular reactivity in the arm. CT scanning with calcium scoring is a direct marker of coronary disease. CT does not differentiate between stable or unstable plaque but there is no good noninvasive way of doing this.

The dramatic value of CT scan calcium scoring is to demonstrate to people that they actually do have coronary disease and to motivate them to make the necessary lifestyle and nutritional changes to reduce it. CT scan with calcium scoring is a direct way to measure the progression or regression of coronary artery disease. If there is a choice between a direct measurement and indirect measurement, always choose the direct method.

Every patient treated with CLA in my clinic, experienced significant reductions in C-reactive protein. These patients were also on a weight-loss program, so I can't prove whether it was the CLA or the weight-loss that improved their inflammatory markers. In the animal model for arteriosclerosis, CLA has a dramatic effect of reducing and preventing plaque. This has not yet been proven in humans.

Normally, when people lose weight 20% or more of the loss is lean body mass (muscle) this lowers the metabolic rate and frustrates further weight-loss. My patient, from teenagers to retirees, lost no lean body mass and continued to have satisfactory weight-loss when CLA was used as part of the plan.

In reading your book, your use of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) as a principal ingredient struck me. Can you elaborate on why you choose to have your patients take CLA?

My enthusiasm for CLA is based on:

1) Safety?this is of paramount importance. Animal toxicity studies have been done, as well as multiple parameters measured in human studies, both of these are well reviewed recently in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2004:79(suppl)1132s). CLA, a naturally-occurring substance, is not toxic or harmful to animals or humans. The only negative report is by Riserus in Circulation (2002), where he found an elevated c- reactive protein; however, he used a preparation that is not commercially available and not found in nature as a single isomer.

2) Effectiveness?also critically important. A recent meta-analysis [a reanalysis of compiled data] in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2007; 85:1203-1211) demonstrated the effectiveness of CLA in causing loss of body fat in humans. The study also reconfirmed the safety of CLA.

Since we now know that atherosclerosis is an inflammatory disorder, any strategy that reduces low-grade inflammation without significant side effects would seem to be beneficial in the treatment and prevention of atherosclerosis. CLA not only has antioxidant properties, but it modulates inflammatory cascade at multiple points. CLA reduces PGE2 (in much the same way as omega-3) CLA also has been shown to reduce IL-2, tumor necrosis factor-alpha and Cox–2. It reduces platelet deposition and macrophage accumulation in plaques. It also has some beneficial effect in the PPAR [peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors, important for lipid and inflammatory-mediator metabolism] area.

Part of the effect of CLA may be because it reduces fat mass and thus the amount of pro-inflammatory cytokines produced by fat cells.

I reiterate and fully admit that CLA has not been shown to have any effect on atherosclerosis in human beings. However, the results in the standard animal models for atherosclerosis (rabbits, hamsters,APO-E knockout mice) are very dramatic.

From all I know, it appears that the effective dose for weight loss and the animal studies in atherosclerosis would be equal to about 3 g of CLA per day. The anti-inflammatory properties of CLA seem to work better in the presence of adequate blood levels of omega-3.

I’m curious how and why a busy cardiothoracic surgeon would transform his practice so dramatically. Was there a specific event that triggered your change?

The transition from a very busy surgical practice to writing and speaking about the prevention of coronary disease has not been particularly easy, but it has been very interesting. I can't really point to any specific epiphany, it was a general feeling of frustration that we were not making any progress in curing heart disease, which is what I thought I was doing when I began my medical career.

Of course, I enjoyed the technical advances, the dramatic life-saving things that you do and I did on a daily basis. American medicine is spectacularly good at managing crises and spectacularly horrible at preventing those crises.

The lipid hypothesis is old and tired, even the most aggressive statin therapy reduces risk of heart attack by about 30% in a relatively small subset of people. It's interesting that we're now looking at statins as an anti-inflammatory agent.

Thanks, Dr. Lundell. We look forward to future conversations as your experience with CLA and heart disease prevention and reversal develops!

More about Dr. Lundell's book, The Cure for Heart Disease can be found at http://www.thecureforheartdisease.net.

Note: We are planning a full Special Report on CLA for the Track Your Plaque website in future.

9/6/2007 8:46:00 PM |

Do you know much about the diet he recommends to decrease inflammation and heart disease?
    Thanks!

• Dr. Davis

9/6/2007 9:56:00 PM |

He uses a low processed carbohydrate diet. I'm afraid I did not get too far into that aspect of things with him.

9/6/2007 11:22:00 PM |

Thanks for the reply. I assume by "low-processed" you mean whole grains?
    Greg

• Dr. Davis

9/7/2007 1:45:00 AM |

Although I read Dr. lundell's book, I remain unsure about how tightly he advises processed carbohydrate control. He is clear on minimizing sugars and sugar-equivalents like sodas and fruit drinks. However, on questions like some grains, I remain unclear.

9/7/2007 10:20:00 PM |

I was under the impression that CLAs only exist in animal products and that beef is particularly rich in CLAs.  I also understood that CLAs are a form of transfat, although perhaps a beneficial form, if there is such a thing.  Do you think that adding CLA is helpful for regression of plaque?  Does TYP recommend doing so?  If so, should the CLA be via a supplement and what dosage is typical?

• Dr. Davis

9/8/2007 1:07:00 AM |

We are putting together a clinical trial to examine this issue. I don't have any preconceived notions over whether CLA will work or not. The animal data for reversal of atherosclerosis is fabulous, almost too good to believe.

The human data on weight loss is, in aggregate, modestly promising. But will it reverse atherosclerosis in humans? We're going to try and find out.

• Jill Doss

6/5/2008 12:40:00 AM |

It is my understanding that CLAs are a derivative of Parent Omega 6. I have read that the correct proportions are two parts omega 6 to one part omega 3.  This is referred to as Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs).  Lack of EFAs impede the use of oxygen and oxygenation is crucial to the miochondria of a cell.  I'm interested to see what your comments are on EFAs.

1/8/2009 12:56:00 AM |

Are you aware Dr. Lundell's medical license was revoked in 2008 by the Arizona Medical Board?  Go here to read about him: www.azmd.gov

• David

4/20/2009 1:08:00 PM |

It's true.

• Jim

8/18/2009 4:38:47 PM |

@anon & David,

I didn't read the whole report of the deliberations, but from reading the first one, several observations can be made:
    -Dr Lundell had retired from thoracic surgery at the time of the hearings.
    -The hearings concerned complaints about certain high risk surgeries done by Dr Lundell, as they are done by all thoracic surgeons.
    -None of this has anything to do with a nutritional approach to halting and reducing CVD.

1/9/2010 8:48:17 PM |

Hi! How about fresh juiced carrots? It's hec of carbo thing but is it slow, fast, should I just eat vegetables and fruits and not juice them?

11/4/2010 5:14:15 PM |

• pammi

11/9/2010 9:50:34 AM |

Heart  disease is one of the most  dangerous disease which takes thousands of life every years all over the world. If we know its symptoms and Treatment for heart disease. We can prevent is to large extent.

• MIKE

8/11/2011 6:39:19 AM |

I've been taking fish oil since 2005.Went to a cardioligist who wrote me out a script for lipitor after my cholesterol test was a little high.Being skeptical i then went hom and researched this horrible medication and realized i could take a much healthier,cheaper and much better alternative.Well that alternative was fish oil and i'm so glad i did my research first before blindly accepting my fate.

• Brian

11/24/2011 11:59:44 PM |

Given the blood-thinning properties of fish oil, is it advisable to take it along with blood thinners such as Plavix or Coumadin?

Do "Heart Healthy" sterols cause heart disease?

Do "Heart Healthy" sterols cause heart disease?

The sterol question continues to pop up.

Sterols are an ingredient widely added by food manufacturers that allows a "heart healthy" claim, since sterols have been shown to reduce LDL cholesterol (at least transiently). HOWEVER, sterols have also been implicated in possibly increasing risk for heart disease. After all, people with the genetic condition called sitosterolemia absorb sterols into the blood and develop coronary heart disease in their teens and twenties. Those of us without sitosterolemia who increase sterol intake with sterol-enriched foods increase blood levels of sterols several-fold. Is this healthy, or does it contribute to coronary plaque as it does in people with sitosterolemia?

Below, I've reprinted a previous Heart Scan Blog post on sterols.

Sterols should be outlawed

While sterols occur naturally in small quantities in food (nuts, vegetables, oils), food manufacturers are adding them to processed foods in order to earn a "heart healthy" claim.

The FDA approved a cholesterol-reducing indication for sterols , the American Heart Association recommends 200 mg per day as part of its Therapeutic Lifestyle Change diet, and WebMD gushes about the LDL-reducing benefits of sterols added to foods.

Sterols--the same substance that, when absorbed to high levels into the blood in a genetic disorder called "sitosterolemia"--causes extravagant atherosclerosis in young people.

The case against sterols, studies documenting its coronary disease- and valve disease-promoting effects, is building:

Higher blood levels of sterols increase cardiovascular events:
Plasma sitosterol elevations are associated with an increased incidence of coronary events in men: results of a nested case-control analysis of the Prospective Cardiovascular Münster (PROCAM) study.

Sterols can be recovered from diseased aortic valves:
Accumulation of cholesterol precursors and plant sterols in human stenotic aortic valves.

Sterols are incorporated into carotid atherosclerotic plaque:
Plant sterols in serum and in atherosclerotic plaques of patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy.

Though the data are mixed:

Moderately elevated plant sterol levels are associated with reduced cardiovascular risk--the LASA study.

No association between plasma levels of plant sterols and atherosclerosis in mice and men.

The food industry has vigorously pursued the sterol-as-heart-healthy strategy, based on studies conclusively demonstrating LDL-reducing effects. But do sterols that gain entry into the blood increase atherosclerosis regardless of LDL reduction? That's the huge unanswered question.

Despite the uncertainties, the list of sterol-supplemented foods is expanding rapidly:

Each Nature Valley Healthy Heart Bar contains 400 mg sterols.

HeartWise orange juice contains 1000 mg sterols per 8 oz serving.

Promise SuperShots contains 400 mg sterols per container.

Corozonas has an entire line of chips that contain added sterols, 400 mg per 1 oz serving.

MonaVie Acai juice, "Pulse," contains 400 mg sterols per 2 oz serving.

Kardea olive oil has 500 mg sterols per 14 gram serving.

WebMD has a table that they say can help you choose "foods" that are sterol-rich.

In my view, sterols should not have been approved without more extensive safety data. Just as Vioxx's potential for increasing heart attack did not become apparent until after FDA approval and widespread use, I fear the same may be ahead for sterols: dissemination throughout the processed food supply, people using large, unnatural quantities from multiple products, eventually . . . increased heart attacks, strokes, aortic valve disease.

Until there is clarification on this issue, I would urge everyone to avoid sterol-added "heart healthy" products.

Some more info on sterols in a previous Heart Scan Blog post: Are sterols the new trans fat? .

• steve

9/9/2009 1:58:35 PM |

Dr Davis:  Does this include Benecol and Take Control?

• Kathy Hall

9/9/2009 2:04:42 PM |

Dr. Davis:

The prostate supplement I give my husband has what is called Phytosterol Complex consisting of 400 mg free sterols and 180 mg of beta-sitosterol.

I was under the impression for years that beta-sitosterol was good for the prostate.

Are these prostate supplements dangerous?

9/9/2009 5:53:39 PM |

Hi, Steve--

Benecol is okay, since it has stanol esters which do not enter the blood.

Take Control is a sterol ester product.

Kathy--

Yes, these would fall under sterols.

9/9/2009 6:50:51 PM |

What I find baffling about sterols, and some cholesterol drugs too, is the fact the FDA approves them (or their labeling) on the basis they supposedly reduce heart disease, without... well, ever checking if they do in fact reduce heart disease. Zetia would be one example in the drug world.

Wouldn't it be much nicer if they tested plaque reduction (calcium scoring or even carotid artery ultrasounds), instead of relying on a number that may not matter (cholesterol)?

• Ross

9/9/2009 7:11:45 PM |

This would seem to be yet another case of franken-foods gone wrong.

Ross's rule of thumb: if a product's packaging argues that it's an especially healthy food, it's probably not food at all.

9/10/2009 7:10:56 AM |

Web_MD ought to be renamed into Web-Quack. Hardly ever have I seen a site that is so full of crap...

9/10/2009 11:14:54 PM |

A bit on the side, but related to wheat, and might be of interest:

Celiac Disease Associated with Dilated Cardiomyopathy.

South Med J. 2009 Sep 4;
    Authors: Lodha A, Haran M, Hollander G, Frankel R, Shani J

Celiac disease is an intestinal disorder caused by an immunologic response to gluten, which results in diffuse damage to the proximal small intestinal mucosa with malabsorption of nutrients. An association between celiac disease and nonischemic dilated cardiomyopathy has been noted. Cardiomyopathy has been shown to improve in some patients on a gluten-free diet. We report a case of progressively worsening dilated cardiomyopathy in a patient with documented celiac disease.

PMID: 19738524 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Best wishes from Norway

• Brate

9/11/2009 5:22:21 AM |

According to the American Heart Association, heart disease is the nation's single leading cause of death for both men and women. At least 58.8 million people in this country suffer from some form of heart disease.
    And on the whole, cardiovascular diseases (the combination of heart disease and stroke) kill some 950,000 Americans every year.
    Still, there are many misconceptions about heart disease: "The biggest misconception is that heart disease only happens to the elderly," said Elizabeth Schilling, CRNP with the Center for Preventive Cardiology Program at the University of Maryland Medical Center.
    In fact, according to the American Heart Association, almost 150,00 Americans killed by cardiovascular disease each year are under the age of 65. And one out of every 20 people below the age of 40 has heart disease.
    So, it is now a wise decision to keep a constant monitoring of your health. Why to take a chance if we have the option. I was in the similar misconception that heart disease are far away waiting for me to get aged. But to my surprise, I was found to be having a calcium deposit in my coronary arteries. I need to have my advance diagnostic scans due reassure whether something really deadly is waiting for me. Though it was some dreadful going on in my life, but I never felt any kind of discomfort in Elitehealth.com advanced diagnostic facility. They were having some of the latest diagnostic equipments and non invasive techniques which made me feel safe.

• Sifter

9/13/2009 2:03:10 AM |

I believe Elitehealth.com performs CAT scans for the heart, as posted on their website. I also believe Dr. Davis wrote that these are very high radiation tests, equal approximately to 100 Xrays, compared to the EBT tests that equal roughly 4 Xrays. Your choice....

9/13/2009 7:10:45 AM |

Does one need to worry about the sterols in nuts and oils? What levels are we talking about that should be avoided?

Thanks

9/14/2009 4:15:03 PM |

Interesting comment about nuts. They are usually considered heart-healthy, but are they really?

They are high in Omega 6s and sterols. Just because they can influence cholesterol in a positive way, doesn't mean they are good for you. I've wondered about that too.

• Kismet

9/16/2009 11:25:12 PM |

Anonymous, yeah IIRC they are. Some observational trials clearly suggested that nuts in moderation decrease CVD risk.

again IIRC.

• trinkwasser

10/2/2009 3:45:57 PM |

I suspect another U curve, or J curve: possibly the small quantities of natural sterols in nuts are beneficial, which has led to their use in overdose quantities, which isn't (unless you're a shareholder in a foodlike substance manufacturing company - if they're cheap enough to manufacture that you can displace more expensive ingredients from your product, then mark up the price with a "heart healthy" tag you're on to a winner)

• denparser

10/4/2009 11:54:39 AM |

minute maid... i regularly drink that. wow, i don't even know that it has a good nutritional effect.

• x.ds

11/22/2009 5:43:25 AM |

Dr. Davis:

Vitamin D is a steroid and chemically related to phytosterols. As a result it's my feeling that prolonged supplementation with vitamin D will cause atherosclerosis and promote coronary plaques like phytosterols.

It's an established medical fact that high dose of vitamin D causes atherosclerosis but a small intake of it for many months may have the same effect since vitamin D like phytosterols and corticosteroids bioaccumulates in the body.

After personally taking sarsaparilla and butcher's broom root (both rich in phytosterols) for a long time I had persistent low-grade fever. After reading that squalene inhibited the action of fat-soluble cancer-causing agents I thought it may bind phytosterols too. I tested it and after 2 weeks my fever disappeared. Upon discontinuation of squalene a few weeks later fever did not return.

• shaheel

9/27/2010 12:57:24 PM |

11/3/2010 6:47:48 PM |

• highchords

12/16/2010 6:38:08 AM |

Would help people for getting aware of the negative aspects of the taking eatables containing sterols. Would be helpful in preventing the heart prone diseases.
    Thanks,

Heart Disease

12/25/2010 7:43:10 PM |

absolutely wrong i think if this were the case can u beleive Dr. william Davis , that almost all Countries including the stringent Canada is allowing Foods Fortified with plant sterols to be sold in retail chains , being a Doc . u shud be careful of scaring the people and hence depleting them of a cure for a Potential Fatal Heart Condition , here are some Conclusion of a study preformed recently :  Several experimental studies in normal and apolipoprotein-E-deficient mice in the study by Weingärtner et al. (6) indicated that the increase in serum plant sterol contents with diet-enriched plant sterol ester consumption worsens arterial function. Humans consuming a diet enriched with plant sterol esters had increased contents of plant sterols in serum and in atherosclerotic aortic valves. However, it remains open whether high plant sterol levels in aortic valves cause atherosclerosis. Even though excessively increased serum plant sterols in serum of sitosterolemic patients with mutated plant sterol metabolism can result in early atheromatosis, no consistent association is available with serum plant sterols and atheromatosis under normal conditions.
    Pls reply Doc Smile