The Great Low-Carb Connector

The effusive Jimmy Moore of Livin' La Vida Low-Carb asked me to help get the word out about his new podcast subscription service, The Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Show Fan Club.

Jimmy has been The Great Connector for the low-carb discussion, from his ubiquitous online and social media presence, to his annual low-carb cruise. He has also broadcast first class interviews of nutritional notables like Gary Taubes, Dr. Robert Lustig, and blogger Stephan Guyenet. His Fan Club expands listener involvement in the podcast process and, potentially, greater access to his guests:

My faithful listeners have long been asking me about how they can become even more engaged in the behind-the-scenes workings of the show to get the inside scoop about what’s coming next. I’ve heard people ask specifically for access to transcripts of the most popular podcasts, a listing of the interviews I’m currently working on with the ability to ask questions of those guests, to have sneak peek of audio from not-yet-released interviews and more. My amazing podcast producer, Kevin Kennedy-Spaein, and I have been discussing how to best do this for a while in an effort to meet the demands of our biggest fans and we think we’ve got just the answer for you. Introducing The Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Show Fan Club!

This is for all intents and purposes the quintessential destination for people who can’t get enough of this podcast that goes much deeper than discussion about the low-carb lifestyle. Yes, I speak with a lot of people who are supporters of carbohydrate-restricted diets, but I also talk with fitness gurus, people who support alternative eating plans, those who have interesting theories and beliefs regarding health and much more. Wouldn’t you love to have a chance to know who’s coming up in my schedule to be able to ask them questions BEFORE I interview them? Keep in mind that my interviews are pre-recorded and air sometimes as much as 5-6 months afterwards. Members of the “fan club” would know all about who’s coming and likely will have their question asked on the air just for signing up to be a part of this exciting new addition to “The Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Show.”

Jimmy is the guy who is bringing this disparate and widely-spread community together. He's the guy we all know, he knows "everybody." I'm looking forward to seeing how this new project makes a more involved, personal delivery of interaction possible.

10/28/2010 12:54:06 PM |

Is Jimmy still eating eggs for every meal in order to lose weight?

• kris

10/28/2010 2:37:00 PM |

Dr. Davis, How true is this statement?
    "before resorting to muscle tissue, the body will burn fat. If you have no body fat, (or even very little of it), then eating carbohydrates is a good idea. If there is fat to burn, it will be burned first. Our entire body runs on sugar, but you can turn fat into sugar and sugar into fat, depending on the current needs of the body"

10/28/2010 4:02:20 PM |

No - he is off the eggs, but somewhere up around 282lbs.  Jimmy is indeed a great connector and does well with podcasts and interviews but his own diet - and as a consequence his weight - remains a problem.  He remains obese and as such is not a great advert for low carb.

• Jimmy Moore

10/28/2010 6:04:17 PM |

THANKS for the plug for my new "Fan Club" associated with my podcast, Dr. Davis.  I certainly hope to indeed connect fans of "The Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Show" with more of the behind-the-scenes happenings to get them involved in the interview process, share transcripts of past episodes, and even let them hear sneak peak audio of not-yet-aired podcasts.  I'm excited to make this little something extra available to those who want more.

As for the the anonymous criticism about my weight, yes I weigh more than I would like to at this moment.  This is not a secret and I've been quite candid about this publicly because there are many who face the same frustrations of doing everything right and yet seeing very little progress on the scale.  While I'm seeking to rectify those issues by lowering my calories to 1800/daily and engaging in regular exercise, the fact remains my health is immaculate.

High HDL, low triglycerides, low percentage of Small LDL particles, stable blood sugar, normal blood pressure, a heart scan score of ZERO, abundant energy and so much more.  While the focus tends to be on weight as the key measurement in someone being healthy, I think that's as shortsighted as telling someone a low-fat, high-carb diet is the only way to lose weight and be healthy.  Again, I'd like to weigh less than I do now but it's difficult to argue that the way I'm eating isn't making me healthier than when I weighed 400+ pounds in 2004 on three prescription medications.

• Jamie Scott

10/29/2010 12:17:43 AM |

Re: Jimmy's weight - it's Jimmy's business!  The guy does a massive amount of work, as highlighted by Dr Davis' post, promoting the many and varied strains of low carb eating, and he does so because he has first-hand experience of the benefits of doing so.  Sure HE might not want to be where HE wants to be with HIS weight, but it isn't like he is ht eonly guy pushing the low carb mantra and peddling snack oil is it?

Jimmy, I'd have no doubt you could get to where you wanted to be (or closer to it at least), if you gave up on the stuff that you do.  But the rest of us would be poorer for it.  A run a very small and very much part-time blog in this field and if I put in the amount of time Jimmy does with all his work, I doubt I would be able to maintain the other aspects of my life that I enjoy so much.  It is a sacrifice Jimmy makes.

One last thing, and Jimmy may disagree with me on this... At one point in time, Jimmy's lifestyle lead him down the obesity pathway.  One aspect of this, and one that I try to promote in my line of work, is if you go down that road, there is no guarantee you can come back out of it.  Things like the consumption of industrial seed oils can lead to fat cell hypertrophy & hyperplasia... size AND number of fat cells increase.  Stay in this state long enough, and there is high chance you will never fully undo the damage done.  You can certainly imporve your health biomarkers as Jimmy has obviously done.  But you might not necessarily be able to return to an ultrathin body, no matter how much you desire it.  There is a degree of ingorance from people who just automatically assume that because one is eating low carb, they should look like a Crossfitter all the time and failure to do so means that low carbing is a failure also.

• Jimmy Moore

10/29/2010 2:16:34 AM |

Well said Jamie!  I totally agree.

• Lori Miller

10/29/2010 4:29:01 AM |

Nothing measures up when compared to perfection. It's better to compare real-life choices and their likely consequences whenever possible.

If someone was 400+ pounds and on medications on their old diet, and 120 pounds lighter, energetic and off the medications on a different diet, the different diet must have some benefits. I prefer to think in terms of progress, not perfection.

• Susan

10/29/2010 5:24:31 AM |

Jimmy, Jamie and Lori

AMEN !!!!

Sue

10/29/2010 12:01:08 PM |

I know Jimmy personally and he is a sincere, hard-working nice guy.

We are all learning new lessons in nutrition and how to manage diet, navigating all the landmines in the commercial food that we are sold.

Jimmy's unquestioned role in this has been to facilitate the discussion, bringing differing viewpoints from interesting people like Gary Taubes and Jeff Volek.

Personally, I am grateful that we have someone like Jimmy Moore who acts as amiable host to our discussions.

• ben

10/29/2010 1:20:41 PM |

i love Jimmy's podcasts. In fact i subscribe via itunes. He never fails to have intelligent guests. Especially in the last year or two he has had many paleo people which is great. I like to see the focus on good-health-all-around entering into his lowcarb world, rather than the sole goal of weightloss that i feel many atkinsers etc have. Anyway, he's doing a great job. and he has been for quite some time now. His weight? Who cares. Jimmy, dont sweat it! you've lost all that, your health numbers look great and you are leading a life that benefits many. I think you can be satisfied.

10/29/2010 6:20:42 PM |

Train wreck/drama queen. Needs to lift free weights or join a cross fit gym…quit making excuses..

10/30/2010 1:22:10 AM |

"Train wreck/drama queen...quit making excuses..."

You got that right!

10/30/2010 4:28:00 PM |

Thank you so much Jimmy for the help you provide to all of us.
    I am an uruguayan and follow your podcast from Uruguay LA.
    Thanks again.
    Jose.

10/30/2010 9:37:25 PM |

If not for Jimmy Moore I would never have heard of Dr Davis, Mark Sisson, Stephan Guyenet, Robb Wolf, Dr Briffa, Fred Hahn and so many others.  I would never in a million years have thought to include strength training in my lifestyle.  I wouldn't have learned about the impact of sleep on health and mood.  Without the information Jimmy Moore brought into my life, I'd still be Vitamin D deficient, undermuscled, underslept and unhealthy.  Instead I've grown strength and muscle, ditched lifelong allergies and have had only one cold in the last three years.  (I work in healthcare and get coughed/sneezed upon constantly, so this is no insignificant fact.)

Jimmy is humble, funny, candid and generous.  Sure, we'd all like to include "stunning physique" in our list of personal qualities, but some of us just have to be satisfied with excellent health and an ongoing commitment to pursue optimal body composition.

For me, Jimmy Moore is a treasure.

• e4e

11/1/2010 6:16:54 PM |

Kudos to Jimmy for all his good work. I completely agree with Jamie above.

Anonymous trolls, just go away, or at least show a little spine and put your name.

Tony K

Vitamin D: Deficiency vs optimum level

Vitamin D: Deficiency vs optimum level

Dr. James Dowd of the Vitamin D Cure posted his insightful comments regarding the Institute of Medicine's inane evaluation of vitamin D.

Dr. Dowd hits a bullseye with this remark:

The IOM is focusing on deficiency when it should be focusing on optimal health values for vitamin D. The scientific community continues to argue about the lower limit of normal when we now have definitive pathologic data showing that an optimal vitamin D level is at or above 30 ng/mL. Moreover, if no credible toxicity has been reported for vitamin D levels below 200 ng/mL, why are we obsessing over whether our vitamin D level should be 20 ng/mL or 30 ng/mL?

Yes, indeed. Have no doubts: Vitamin D deficiency is among the greatest public health problems of our age; correction of vitamin D (using the human form of vitamin D, i.e., D3 or cholecalciferol, not the invertebrate or plant form, D2 or ergocalciferol) is among the most powerful health solutions.

I have seen everything from relief from winter "blues," to reversal of arthritis, to stopping the progression of aortic valve disease, to partial reversal of dementia by achieving 25-hydroxy vitamin D levels of 50 ng/ml or greater. (I aim for 60-70 ng/ml.)

The IOM's definition of vitamin D adequacy rests on what level of 25-hydroxy vitamin D reverses hyperparathyroidism (high PTH levels) and rickets. Surely there is more to health than that.

Dr. Dowd and vocal vitamin D advocate, Dr. John Cannell, continue to champion the vitamin D cause that, like many health issues, conradicts the "wisdom" of official organizations like the IOM.

• Anton

12/19/2010 2:20:07 AM |

Thanks for your great blog, and for your interest in Vitamin D.

Along with doctors Dowd and Cannell, add Dr. Holick as another pioneer in Vitamin D. research.

12/19/2010 4:58:25 AM |

I bet natural vitamin d is far superior to oral supplementation.  I think vit D absorbtion is optimized by low carb, but you also need some sunlight added into the picture.

12/19/2010 1:59:13 PM |

Hi, Anon--

Where I live, it's been around 10 degrees Fahrenheit for about two weeks straight. Probably too cold to lay out in a bathing suit.

For many of us, supplementation is the only choice.

Also, don't forget that the majority of people after age 40 have lost much of their ability to activate vit D in the skin.

• kellgy

12/19/2010 5:02:25 PM |

I just added his book to my wish list and it will be my next read. I am beginning to wonder why don't we seek to reach serum vitamin D somewhere between 100-150 range. Has there been any research indicating any response to these levels? Even with all the recent research focusing on vitamin D, it would be nice to understand overall health responses at varying degrees of serum content from deficiency to toxicity. We need a wider perspective to draw from.

BTW, an update: 110 pounds and counting . . . My BMI is about to fall into the normal range and my health has never been better!

This is an unusual thought. Sitting in front of a very warm and soothing fire last night, I was wondering how my skin reacts to the radiation, aside from the warmth and relaxation benefits.

• IggyDalrymple

12/20/2010 3:07:51 AM |

My level dropped 20 points when I reduced my intake from 10,000 iu/day to 5,000 /day.  I went back to 10,000 and now I'm at 63 ng/ml.  I'll stick with 10,000 iu unless I exceed 100 ng/ml.

• Susanne

12/20/2010 7:06:08 AM |

I wonder if there is not a missing piece to the puzzle of vitamin D deficiency in relation to adequate iodine levels.  I have appended text from the website Iodine4health.  In it Dr. Vickery noticed a connection between the two:

”I have also noted an apparent connection between bringing sufficient iodine to a bromine plugged thyroid, and the vitamin D metabolism of the body. Although I am unaware of the exact mechanism, it seems clear that the calcitonin/parathyroid hormone/Vitamin D/calcium balance in the body changes as people on iodine loading programs often register as vitamin D deficient when they did not previously."

I believe this to be my case.  I tested my vitamin D levels for years and they were optimal based on Dr. Mercola's recommendations and I supplemented with D in the form of cod liver oil rarely.  Then I started taking iodine and I had such a dramatic improvement in symptoms that I knew I had been iodine deficient perhaps my entire life.  After 2-3 years of iodine supplemention I am going to get my D levels tested soon.

12/20/2010 12:10:49 PM |

Susanne
    Please write the name of the test you underwent to find iodine deficient?Is it a routine blood test that nay primary care doc can order?Readers please chime in please

Regards
    SMK

• Pater_Fortunatos

12/20/2010 1:02:01 PM |

Published less than a month ago:

Vitamin D deficiency in rheumatoid arthritis: prevalence, determinants and associations with disease activity and disability

12/20/2010 9:58:20 PM |

"Probably too cold to lay out in a bathing suit."

Did you try without?
    OK, couldn't resist.

12/20/2010 10:21:05 PM |

Just a quick question about D3 supplements. I know that dry tabs aren't ideal because they're hard for the body to absorb but what about capsulated powdered D3?

12/21/2010 1:34:06 AM |

Have an observation using a vitamin D light that I thought to mention.  I take vitamin D capsules and have been doing so for around 5 years.  This winter I decided that I would also use a vitamin D3 light pretty much each day in addition to taking the capsules.  I bought a light sold on Dr Cannell's sight.  I've noticed that sunlight and the artificial D3 light makes me feel warm through out the day, something D3 isn't able to do for me, at least.  And with this cold fall/winter going on right now, this 10 minutes of sunlight is a big plus!

Well, there might be a nice bonus from using the light.  I think I'm growing bigger, in a muscular way.  I do work out at a gym and have done so for over 1 years.  Just began the slow burn process last week.  But this muscle growth seems to have started around the time I made a conscious effort to use the indoor light or obtain some sunlight.

Anyway, no way to prove, and could be completely wrong about this.  Just something I've noticed as my shirts have grown tighter over the last couple months.  Weight has gone up also by a few pounds. I'm pleased.

• Jessica

12/22/2010 7:29:50 PM |

SMK- the test for iodine that we order in our clinic (family practice) is an iodine loading 24 hour urine test.

patients take 50 mg of iodoral then capture their urine for the next 24 hours to see how much is excreted.

There is a 2 week prep, though, that helps ensure the test is accurate.

Dr. Brownstein (?) has several books on the topic. I think he recommends the load testing method in his book, "Iodine, why we need it, why we can't live without it."

• Chris Masterjohn

12/23/2010 2:10:47 AM |

I'll be posting my comments on the IOM report soon, although this sucker is 999 pages long and taking me a while to read.  I don't think it is at all true that it focuses on "deficiency" instead of "optimal levels."  I think it is quite clearly and very explicitly focused on optimal levels.

The IOM claims to not have found sufficient evidence to conclude that higher levels are optimal.  Now, I do believe that there is good enough evidence to act on the hypothesis that levels should be above 30 ng/mL, and my impression so far is that there is very little data supporting an argument for >50 ng/mL as some suggest.  That said, I won't be convinced that the IOM is *wrong* that definitive evidence for greater than 20 ng/mL is lacking until I finish reading the report and look at some of the primary references.

I do think it's important, however, to exercise the freedom to act on hypotheses.  If we needed definitive evidence for everyone we do, our familial relations and whole lives would fall apart.  Still, I think the IOM had a responsibility to assess the quality of the evidence and only solidify what is definitive into recommendations, as long as those recommendations don't preclude the freedom to use higher levels.

In any case, hopefully I can finish this bad boy in the next week and blog about it.

Chris

12/24/2010 3:43:54 AM |

Isn't anyone concerned about all those studies summarized in the IOM report showing increased mortality at the highest D levels? 50 ng/ml is the highest level that I can justify targeting.

• Lacey

12/24/2010 3:17:52 PM |

Off topic, but...I wish Paleo bloggers were better at spotting and stopping spam comments.

Blogger Brooklyn said...Awesome Blog!!! blah blah blah blah

Funny, Brooklyn had the exact same words to say over on Stephan Guyanet's blog:  http://tinyurl.com/2v25wc3

His wonderful blog that he links back to says, among other things, "In the meantime, they recommend that all people, with or without diabetes, should have a healthy balanced diet, low in fat, salt and sugar with plenty of fruit and vegetables." It's also chock full of plagiarized text.

Sincere paleo fan or linkspammer?  You be the judge.

• Travis Culp

12/25/2010 4:38:25 AM |

Has anyone tested vitamin D levels in indigenous people? I try to dose about 30 minutes a day of sun during solar noon without a shirt on during the summer and 5000 IU a day for the rest of the year. No idea what my level would be though.

• Peter

12/25/2010 12:45:12 PM |

I'm more concerned about official organizations going beyond the evidence (eat margarine! eat carbs! avoid saturated fat!) than  being over-cautious when there's not a lot of reliable research.

1/4/2011 4:26:38 AM |

One more comment on my apparently deleted comment - there's a possibiliy I never typed in the word verification code, but I believe I did actually post the comment. Sorry, if I did falsely accuse.

• Brad Fallon

3/5/2011 6:08:50 PM |

Vitamin D Deficiency, what is the best natural source apart from sunshine to help keep the levels up?

3/21/2011 4:15:01 PM |

I just found my new vitamin store. The prices are the lowest I could find. They gave me a free gift of $5.00 with no minimum purchase and I got free shipping! The code I used at checkout is WIR500. Maybe it will work for you too?