One hour blood sugar: Key to carbohydrate control and reversing diabetes

Diabetics are instructed to monitor blood glucose first thing in the morning and two hours after eating. This helps determine whether blood sugar is controlled with medications like metformin, Januvia, Byetta injections, or insulin.

But that's not how you use blood sugar to use to prevent or reverse diabetes. Two-hour blood sugars are also of no help in deciding whether you have halted glycation, or glucose modification of proteins the process that leads to cataracts, brittle cartilage and arthritis, oxidation of small LDL particles, atherosclerosis, kidney disease, etc.

So the key is to check one-hour after-eating (postprandial) blood sugars, a time when blood glucose peaks after consumption of carbohydrates. (It may peak somewhat sooner or later, depending on factors such as how much fluid was in the meal; protein, fat, and fiber content; presence of foods like vinegar that slow gastric emptying; the form of carbohydrate such as amylopectin A vs. amylopectin B, amylose, fructose, along with other factors. Once in a while, you might consider constructing your own postprandial glucose curve by doing fingersticks every 15 minutes to determine when your peak occurs.)

I reject the insane notion that after-eating blood sugars of less than 200 mg/dl are acceptable, the value accepted widely as the cutoff for health. Blood sugars this high occurring with any regularity ensure cataracts, arthritis, and all the other consequences of cumulative glycation. I therefore aim to keep one-hour after-eating glucoses 100 mg/dl or less. If you start in a pre-diabetic or diabetic range of, say, 120 mg/dl, then I advise people to not allow blood glucose to go any higher. A pre-meal blood glucose of 120 mg/dl would therefore be followed by an after-eating blood glucose of no higher than 120 mg/dl.

No doubt: This is strict. But people who do this:

--Lose weight from visceral fat
--Heighten insulin sensitivity
--Drop blood pressure
--Drop HbA1c and fasting glucose over time
--Reduce small LDL and other carbohydrate-sensitive measures

By the way, if you inadvertently trigger a high blood sugar like I did when I took my kids to the all-you-can-eat Indian buffet, go for a walk, bike, or burn the sugar off with a 30-minute or longer physical effort. Check your blood sugar again and it should be back in desirable range. But then learn from your lesson: Eliminate or reduce portion size of the culprit carbohydrate food.

• Might-o'chonri-AL

8/2/2011 6:11:40 AM |

Glyco-sylation occurs inside a cell's endoplasmic reticulum lumen when certain  carbohydrates  (in the form of N-linked oligo-saccharides) meld with a newly folded protein that gets translated into  a glyco-protein.  There are different rates of activation and de-activation  between glyco-sylated and un-glycosylated proteins; this affects how that protein migrates as it tries to perform it's job and how  glycation can induce degenerative states.  Tissue cells with endoplasmic reticulum stress can exasperate certain disease progression because such "stress" there promotes more glycosylation.

• Annabel

8/2/2011 12:40:42 PM |

I couldn't agree more with the advice to test every 15 minutes as a means of discovering your own "sugar curve." When I tried this, I found that my own peak falls pretty consistently at 75 minutes after beginning a meal. Testing at 2 hours completely overlooks my highest blood glucose levels.

It's a particularly good technique for those folks whose A1c levels are higher than their fingersticks would predict...it's almost surely because they're doing their sticks way past their glucose peak.

When test strips cost up to a buck apiece, it may feel hard to justify using six or eight of them on a single meal--but what you learn may save tens of thousands in medical bills!

• Curt

8/2/2011 1:31:12 PM |

Another great article - thank you! I'm curious about your thoughts on controlled 1 hour blood sugars (mine are rarely over 110) but baseline levels that aren't much lower. Typically in the 95-105 range. I will get something in the 80s occasionally, but 100 is more common. I never really spike - even a high carb meal will only get me to 130s or so and that never really happens as I don't eat much sugar/starch at all.

Another quick question: You've mentioned a couple times recently about this way of eating being particularly good for VISCERAL fat. That is exactly what I've found. Tremendous benefits and I feel great. I have leveled out for a while (months) in fat loss, however, with a good amount of subcutaneous fat still present. Is there another protocol for getting after this type of fat? I'm already no wheat, low carb, paleo.

Thanks again for your excellent articles! Always learning something new.......

• ShottleBop

8/2/2011 1:38:20 PM |

Do you have citations to support your statement that glycation occurs at BGs of 100 or more?  This is one of the more-commonly discussed issues on diabetes discussion boards--but folks are wont to ask for backup.

• Jeff C

8/2/2011 1:47:11 PM |

Regarding glycation specifically...

1. Do you agree that fructose ("frucation") causes more AGE than glucose?
    2. What to you make of Ray Peat's assertion that poly-fats are much more glycalating than glucose?

"The so-called "advanced glycation end products," that have been blamed on glucose excess, are mostly derived from the peroxidation of the "essential fatty acids." The name, “glycation,” indicates the addition of sugar groups to proteins, such as occurs in diabetes and old age, but when tested in a controlled experiment, lipid peroxidation of polyunsaturated fatty acids produces the protein damage about 23 times faster than the simple sugars do." (Fu, et al., 1996)." - Ray Peat

• Richard

8/2/2011 3:21:55 PM |

Thanks for the great article!
    I've just begun tracking blood sugars closely, changed my diet to one very low in carbs and no grains, and am determined to find ways to keep at it. I've started a blog just track my progress and keep me honest: http://transformation-transformative.blogspot.com/
    I'll also try the 15 minute testing to see where my personal peak in blood sugar occurs.
    Again, many thanks!

• steve

8/2/2011 3:31:08 PM |

Hi Dr. Davis:  What is the relationship between fasting BG taken at the Dr's office and A!C?  My fasting BG level is 73.5 but my A1C is 5.4.  I would have expected the A1C to more correspond to the fasting measurement; in the case of my wife it does.  Is it related more to the red blood cells lingering around longer or lipoprotein particles which increases the chance of glycation?  Recently had a larger than normal amount of carbs in a meal- rice and blueberries and BG spiked to 119, not to bad, but will experiment with carb portion to keep under 100 as BG may be a contributing factor to my CAD.  I am also a hyperabsorber of fat despite being an ApoE 3/3.

As an aside, i have sent around a link of one of your interviews regarding Wheat Belly and many eyes have been opened as well as many looking to buy the book.  Might not be a bad idea to have a link to any of your interviews on Wheat Belly posted to this site.
    Thanks for the enlightening good work!

8/3/2011 12:23:09 AM |

Hi, Shottle--
    This will be the topic of an upcoming discussion. The documentation of this effect is quite extensive. It is no longer a matter of "if" but "how much."

8/3/2011 12:25:11 AM |

Hi, Jeff--
    This is one of oranges and apples comparisons.
    Fructose does indeed induce flagrant glycation. Glucose induces glycation, though less vigorously.

However, there is a separate but very poorly named process called exogenous glycation which has less to do with glycation than with oxidation of fats.

This will be the topic of future discussions.

8/3/2011 12:26:22 AM |

My first thought is that, if weight loss is ongoing, there is a temporary situation of insulin resistance that generally dissipates with weight stabilization.

It's also possible that your pancreas has inadequate baseline production of insulin. I'm hoping it's the first possibility.

8/3/2011 12:28:05 AM |

Hi, Steve-

You will find that, if you did frequent fingersticks around the clock, the highish A1c reflects the higher blood glucose values that occur after meals.

Thanks for the feedback on the Wheat Belly project. I will indeed crosslink some of the more relevant discussions.

• Might-o'chondri-AL

8/3/2011 2:39:31 AM |

Advanced glycation end products (AGE) involve some of haemoglobin's hydro-carbon Beta side chain valine residue linking up to non-polar "glucose" aldehyde compounds and certain non-"glucose" aldehydes. Various pathological kinds of AGEs can occur from distinct events; in one situation it is macrophage activity producing enzymatic myelo-peroxidase, which can activate hypochlorite favoring a serine amino acid wing to form up to make the AGE called glyco-aldehyde.

Probably the AGE called methyl-glyoxal is the one most relevant to diabetes prevention; since Type 1 diabetics blood serum levels of methyl-glyoxal is +/- 6 times higher than normal. This AGE can be formed when the byproduct triose-phosphate (triose = subset of carbs) is generated from the glycolytic pathway called  Embden-Meyerhof; this  byproduct risks being made into methyl-glyoxal.

Maybe the most well known AGEs are the non-enzymatic Amadori products formed via hydrolysis; one is called glyoxal coming from glucose oxidation. And the other Amadori type AGE is 3-deoxy-glucosone (3DG), which requires fructo-selysine and the fructos-amine 3 kinase cascade to shuffle together 3DG.

• Might-o'chondri-AL

8/3/2011 2:40:38 AM |

Diabetes reveals the problem with AGEs; this is because diabetics risk incurring kidney nephro-pathy, One of the pathological results is oxidative kidney stress, which limits sodium (Na) excretion thereby fostering  hyper-tension . When AGEs like 3DG, glyoxal & methyl-glyoxal  (among others, like pentosidine ) circulate into the kidneys their carbonyl compounds  are hard to clear by the kidneys; the side effect is to engender  uric uremia problems and meanwhile levels of carbonyls build up in what is called "carbonyl stress".
    Japan research of the plant compound chamaemeloside found that in humans it lowered levels of the AGEs 3DG & pentosidne better than any other natural remedy; optimal response was reduction of down to 1/5 th of subject's starting levels.  Chamaemeloside is the active compound in chamomile (Anthemis noblis); the extraction formula was 1 Kg of chamomile flowers steeped covered in 20 Lt. water for 3 hours at 80* celcius ( a lab temperature probably not critical for home remedy preparation).

• Peter Silverman

8/3/2011 12:56:13 PM |

Volek and Phinney in their new book about carbohydrate restriction think that as you increase  fat from 30% to 60% of your diet, insulin resistance increases, then it drops when you go above 60%.  It seems that among the most experienced researchers of carbohydrate restriction, there's little consensus about the optimal amount of fat or carbs.  Ron Krausse, for instance, thinks 35% to 45% is optimal.

• steve

8/3/2011 5:23:50 PM |

Peter:
    When these researchers talk about carb levels are they considering vegetables to be carbs, or just fruits, grains, potatoes?

• frank weir

8/3/2011 6:41:32 PM |

You must mean, "can exacerbate certain disease progression...." meaning: to increase the severity, violence, or bitterness of; aggravate

• frank weir

8/3/2011 6:59:22 PM |

This is wonderful information BUT I wonder if it might be unfortunate if folks who routinely have post-prandials of 120 to 140 take your 100 level as a sign of "failure"...things are seldom so cut and dried, black and white. I don't know if I'm hitting 100 or less  after every meal, but my A1C has dropped from 7.5 to 5.8 since last November restricting carbs. And I've lost 30 pounds. I will begin to be more dogmatic about one-hour glucose checks but my rough sense is that I'm not at 100 or less a majority of the time. But I might be wrong about that. Do you see what I'm getting at? Glucose control is an ongoing process that includes lots of self education since most GP's are not keen AT ALL on restricting carbs, including mine. When I read your post, my initial feeling was, "Cripes, 100 after EVERY meal? Don't think I can do that...."

• Might-o'chondri-AL

8/4/2011 1:05:26 AM |

From another commentator here, in an  earlier thread of Dr. Davis' here is how to use HbA1c to determine your average blood glucose level (note: this is not a morning "fasting" level) .
    1st: multiply your HbA1c by 28.7
    2nd: subtract 46.7 from 1st amount
    3rd: take last number as your average waking hours mg/dL blood glucose over last  few months
    ex:  HbA1c of 5.4 x 28.7 = 159.98 minus 46.7 = 108.28 mg/dL of average blood glucose level

• Peter Silverman

8/4/2011 2:24:31 AM |

They don't count non-starchy vegetable as carbs.

• ShottleBop

8/4/2011 3:15:11 AM |

Thanks for the heads up!

• Find Master

8/4/2011 1:07:59 PM |

Dear Web Master,

We are in process of link building of our site to increase its relevancy and traffic.
    Can you give me information on how I can place my link on your page?

Our link details are following:
    Title: Canadian Pharmacy
    URL: http://www.canadadrugcenter.com/
    Description:

CanadaDrugCenter.com is America's choice for safe and affordable prescription and non-prescription medications. Our licensed Canadian mail order pharmacy will provide you with substantial savings on all your medication needs.

• Stephanie

8/4/2011 2:13:27 PM |

I have found that if I take my carb level too low (below 50g per day) that my fasting blood glucose levels actually go up rather than down.  If my carb intake is closer to 70-80, my fasting glucose is lower.

Have you had this experience with some of your patients?  Can you shed any light onto what might be happening?

Thanks!
    Stephanie

8/4/2011 2:34:11 PM |

Non-starchy vegetables do have carbs and I do have to count them. A half cup of broccoli can have about 6 carbs and since I limit my carbs to no more than 15g/meal, that broccoli on my plate is significant.

I found getting a scale that reads carbs too was an important tool for me. I found I was ofter overestimating how much of a low carb veggie I could eat. If my blood sugar starts to rise, I go back to measuring and that seems to get me back on track.

Anne

• majkinetor

8/14/2011 1:25:56 PM |

I think thats normal, its commonly encountered on paleo forums/blogs. It has something to do with physiological insulin resistance, Petro @ Hyperlipid talked about. Look here:

• majkinetor

8/14/2011 1:38:24 PM |

I wouldn't suggest that everybody blindly follow CHO < 50g / day. As always, its about the context. People usually forget that. We mostly extrapolate from results of people who already have metabolic problems.

Anyway, I am currently perfectly healthy apart from some minor dermatology problems (eczema).
    When I have prolonged periods of reduced CHO input (around 50g / day), I eventually start having some mucus problems. Dry eyes particularly, but also joint pain. I am not 100% sure if its about low carb diet, but it looks like it. Now I target 75g < CHO < 100g per day by adding small potato and a bit more chocolate to my diet.

I think overemphasizing carb reduction is not good thing for most people. Carbs should go down by pretty big amount for most people, but not to extreme. In anyway, its better to measure then to guess. My sugar is never above 110 after meal and fasting is always around 95.

• John F

8/13/2012 9:48:10 AM |

I decided to take this advice and have been tracking my 60 mins postprandial blood glucose for the past two days to see if all the years I've been low carbing have been making any difference. Especially working my way through different foods to see how they affect me and I've ranged from 64 mg/dl to 97 mg/dl so I'm pretty hapy.

However this evening 60 minutes after my dinner of panfried steak with a creamy cajun sauce I got a reading of just 55 mg/dl. A lot of websites say this is too low. I'm 32, healthy male, 5,9", weigh 160 lbs, not diabetic and I don't feel sick so I'm not sure what to make of this low reading. The only thing I did was finish a hard CrossFit workout about 30 mins before I had dinner... so a total of 90 minutes before the blood glucose test.

Any advice on what this "low" reading means? I'm hoping it's normal and means I'm burning fat!

Lessons learned from the 2012 Low-carb Cruise

Lessons learned from the 2012 Low-carb Cruise

I just returned from Jimmy Moore's Low-carb Cruise, a 7-day excursion to Jamaica, Grand Cayman Island, and Cozumel aboard the Carnival Magic. During our 7 wonderful days, a number of authors and experts spoke, each offering their unique perspective on the low-carb world. The focus was the science, experience, and practical application of low-carbohydrate diets.

The event kicked off with a roast by Tom Naughton of Fat Head fame, who entertained with his insightful low-carb humor and predictions of my demise at the hands of Monsanto!

Among the most important lessons provided:

Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt of the Diet Doctor blog discussed how Sweden is leading the world as the nation with the most vigorous low-carbohydrate following, witnessing incredible weight loss and reversal of carbohydrate-related diseases way ahead of the U.S. experience. I spent several hours with Dr. Eenfeldt who, besides being an engaging speaker, is a new father and an all-around gentleman. At 6 ft, 7 inches, he also towered high above all of us.

Dr. Eric Westman of Duke University and author of The New Atkins for a New You, debunked low-carbohydrate myths, such as "low-carb diets are high-protein diets that make your kidneys explode."

Dr. John Briffa, creator of the popular blog, Dr. John Briffa: A Good Look at Good Health, and author of the wonderfully straightforward primer to low-carbohydrate eating, Escape the Diet Trap, stressed the importance of never allowing hunger to rule behavior. Dr. Briffa's serious writing tone conceals an incredible charm and wit that took me by surprise, having spent several thoroughly engaging hours over breakfast, lunch, and dinner with him over the week.

Fred Hahn, exercise expert, founder of Serious Strength and author of Slow Burn Fitness Revolution and Strong Kids, Healthy Kids, debunked a number of trendy exercise methods, boiling many of the purported benefits of exercise down to that of increased strength.

Dr. Chris Masterjohn of The Daily Lipid and supporter of the Weston A. Price Foundation program, provided a comprehensive overview of the data that fails to link saturated fat with heart disease. He also helped me understand the analytical techniques used in studies of advanced glycation end-products.

Denise Minger, brilliant young usurper of China Study dogma and blogger at Raw Foods SOS, proved an engaging speaker and a truly real person (since some critics of her analyses have actually questioned whether there was even such a person!). She also proved every bit as likable as she seems in her captivating blog discussions.

Dr. Jeff Volek, prolific researcher from University of Connecticut, author of over 200 studies validating low-carbohydrate diet effects, and author of the recently released book with Dr. Stephen Phinney, The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, debunked myths behind carbohydrate dependence and "loading" by athletes. He also talked about how assessing blood ketones may be the gold standard method to ensure low-grade ketosis on a long-term low-carb effort.

Over a bottle of wine, Jimmy Moore and I reminisced over how his modest start with no experience in blogging or media has now ballooned to an audience of over 100,000 readers/viewers.

All in all, Jimmy's Low-carb Cruise experience was worth every minute, with many wonderful lessons and memories!

• Gene K

5/15/2012 2:51:56 PM |

It is unfortunate that Dr Jack Kruse had to miss the cruise due to a twitter incident, but he published his intended keynote in his blog (http://jackkruse.com/ct-12-getting-back-on-board-with-my-message/). It would be extremely interesting to see Dr Kruse's program adopted by the broad low-carb community and especially in the TYP program.
    Dr Davis, would you recommend Dr Kruse's Leptin Rx and cold adaptation program to your patients? Was it in any way discussed on the cruise in the absence of Dr Kruse?

• Kelly

5/16/2012 8:48:05 PM |

Did you give Jimmy Moore any tips on his inability to stop gaining weight no matter how low carb he goes? It is just frightening to think that this can happen to even the most staunch and informed low carber.

• Will

5/17/2012 8:37:03 PM |

Hi Doc,

Just heard the tail end of a story on the BBC this morning where a researcher from Oxford Univ. was recommending that everyone in the U.K. over the age of 50 be put on a statin as a prophylactic measure - arguing that based on all relevant research, the rewards dramatically outweighed the risks.  Any thoughts?

• HDL

5/18/2012 1:59:07 AM |

"Good" HDL cholesterol may not protect heart after all, study suggests:

Doubt Cast on the ‘Good’ in ‘Good Cholesterol’:

• Pam Parins Fisher

5/21/2012 6:45:43 PM |

This recipe is a filling and nutricious breakfast and you would never know you are eating low carb.

Pam's Veggie Skillet Breakfast for Two

1 Bunch of Asperagarus cut into 1-2 inch pieces
    1 Large red, green or yellow pepper or 3-4 small peppers diced into 1 inch pieces
    1 bunch green onions thinly sliced
    2 cloves garlic
    3 small partially cooked and diced red potatoes (or leave out if you have a very restricted carb intake or add more if you can tolerate more carbs)
    1 TBL apple cider vinegar
    3-6 eggs
    1 TBL Grape Seed Oil
    1TBL Olive Oil
    Sea Salt and Pepper

Saute all the vegetales in a 12 inch skillet for three to five minutes with the Grape Seed Oil.  Add sea salt and pepper.  Do not over cook the veggies as they will continue to steam witth the eggs.  Add 3 to 6 eggs to the top of the vegetable bed being carefull not to break the yolk.  The trick is to gently lay the egg on top of the vegetables.  Cover the pan and let the veggies and eggs steam together until the eggs are done to your liking.  This is usually about three to five minutes for a softer egg that mixes well into the vegetable bed.

Serve on plates and add more salt and pepper.  Sprinkle with the apple cider vinegar and olive oil.

• Jillian Mckee

5/24/2012 6:30:28 PM |

Hi,

I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could email me?

Jillian

• jpatti

5/31/2012 3:41:37 PM |

Sounds yummy, though I'd replace the grapeseed oil with coconut oil.

A cup of grapeseed oil has 218 mg Omega-3 fatty acids and 151708 mg Omega-6, so is a pretty bad oil to use if you value your heart health.  Most of your veggie oils are this way, WAY too much omega 6 for heart health.

I'd insist on pastured eggs (for nutrition) and freshly ground black pepper (for taste).

Also, this sort of thing, you don't need a recipe, this much of that veggie, this much of the other.  Basically, just whatever you have leftover in your fridge is good.  I'd need an allium of some sort (onion, shallot, scallion), but otherwise... chop and throw into a skillet whatever you've got hanging about or leftover.

The big trick with fresh produce is using it up before it goes bad, and this is a great recipe to use stuff up with.

• jpatti

5/31/2012 3:51:32 PM |

I don't know enough modern biochemistry to follow the logic of the letpin reset and haven't researched the cold stuff enough to have formed an opinion yet.

But about HIM - Google for his TED talk, where he claims to have gained 20 lbs on purpose, gone for plastic surgery to remove it, and injected himself with MRSA prior to the surgery, but it was all OK cause he soaked in a tub of ice water for hours afterwards.

There may be something to his ideas, but... his behavior at that talk did not elicit respect for his ideas.

• Dr. Davis

6/1/2012 1:00:44 AM |

Thanks for posting, Pam!

• Chris Buck

6/4/2012 3:01:08 PM |

On the other hand:

Low levels of HDL cholesterol lead to an increased death rate
    This study was published in the Journal of Lipid Research 2012 Feb;53(2):266-72

Study title and author:
    Fifty-three year follow-up of coronary heart disease versus HDL2 and other lipoproteins in Gofman's Livermore Cohort.
    Williams PT.
    Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA. ptwilliams@lbl.gov

This study can be accessed at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22128321

This study assessed the relationship of high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol levels with total death rates and heart disease death rates. The study lasted for 53 years and included 1,905 men.

HDL cholesterol is made of HDL 2 and HDL 3. HDL 2 is larger than HDL 3.

After analysing 53 years of data the study found:
    (a) Those with the lowest HDL 2 cholesterol had a 22% increase in total death rates.
    (b) Those with the lowest HDL 2 cholesterol had a 63% increase in total heart disease death rates.
    (c) Those with the lowest HDL 2 cholesterol had a 117% increase in premature heart disease death rates.
    (d) Those with the lowest HDL 3 cholesterol had a 28% increase in total heart disease death rates.
    (e) Those with the lowest HDL 3 cholesterol had a 71% increase in premature heart disease death rates.

The results of the study show that low levels of HDL cholesterol, especially HDL 2 cholesterol, are associated with higher total death rates and higher death rates from heart disease.

The best dietary way to raise HDL cholesterol levels is to eat a diet high in saturated fat. See here.

• v

6/6/2012 1:13:49 AM |

since i don't see ferritin, iron stores, or transferrin in your index, i'm going to assume you don't buy into the hypothesis that high iron stores in men can lead to CVD.  please correct me if i'm wrong.

• Gene K

6/10/2012 8:21:55 PM |

My focus is strictly on his ideas and how they change lives of other people when they follow his example and advice. While some people may see his behavior negatively, I respect him for taking time to reply to every single comment to his blog posts, of which he receives many hundred per post.
    I don't have a background to reason about Dr Kruse's conclusions and recommendations, but given that they are mostly consistent with the recommendations of other unorthodox doctors such as Dr Davis and Dr Eades who I trust, and go further extending those recommendations, and given that I have been following these recommendations with good consistent results, I don't need to worry about Dr Kruses's behavior when he has to deal with detractors.

• jpatti

6/15/2012 1:59:06 AM |

I don't care about his detractors particularly either; I'm not a member of the Paleo community and haven't been a member of the low-carb community for some time, so have no horse in this race.

However, his behavior in that video is pretty irrational; I don't need a detractor to tell me this; my own judgment is that messing with MRSA is just flatout STUPID.

Dr. Davis and both of the Dr. Eades differ from Dr. Kruse in that they haven't behaved like stark raving lunatics.  I don't agree with everything they say, but respect them and have learned a lot from them, and from other sources as well.

I've read Dr. Kruse's ideas, and as I said, I've not researched them.  They may well be valid as I haven't spent the time on PubMed to figure it out.  Similarly, I haven't researched the ideas of the folks who hang out at the Philly Amtrak station talking to invisible people.

I can't spend my life researching, as I have to eat, sleep, exercise, talk to my husband, pet my cats, work in my garden, go to the Farmer's Market, etc.  So there must be some method of determining what to look into in depth and what to ignore; watching Dr. Kruse deliver his TED talk limited my interest in further researching his ideas.

If his ideas ARE valid, his behavior is not earning them a hearing from me.