Flat tummy . . . or, Why your dietitian is fat

When I go to the hospital, I am continually amazed at some of the hospital staff: 5 ft 4 inch nurses weighing over 200 lbs, etc.

But what I find particularly bothersome are some (not all) hospital dietitans--presumably experts at the day-to-day of healthy eating--who waddle through the halls, easily 40, 50, or more pounds overweight. It is, to say the least, credibility-challenging for an obese dietitian to be providing nutritional advice to men or women recovering after bypass or stent while clearly not in command of nutritional health herself.

What's behind this perverse situation? How can a person charged to dispense "healthy" nutritional information clearly display such clear-cut evidence of poor nutrition?

How would you view a success coach dressed in rags? Or a reading coach who can barely read a sentence?

Easy: She follows her own advice.

Hospital dietitians are essentially forced to adhere to nutritional guidelines of "official" organizations, such as the American Heart Association and the USDA. There is some reason behind this. Imagine a rogue dietitian decides to advocate some crazy diet that yields dangerous effects, e.g., high-potassium diets in people with kidney disease. There is a role for oversite on the information any hospital staff member dispenses.

The problem, of course, doesn't lie with the dietitian, but with the organizations drafting the guidelines. For years, the mantra of hospital diets was "low-fat." More recently, this dated message has begun--only begun--to falter, but now replaced with the "healthy, whole grain" mantra. And that is the advice the hapless dietitian follows herself, unwittingly indulging in foods that make us fat.

Sadly, the "healthy, whole grain" message also contributes to heart disease via drop in HDL, increased triglycerides, a huge surge in small LDL, rise in blood sugar, increased resistance to insulin, tummy fat, and diabetes. Yes, the diet provided to survivors of heart attack increases risk.

The "healthy, whole grain" message also enjoys apparent "validation" through the enormous proliferation of commercial products cleverly disguised as healthy: Cheerios, Raisin Bran, whole grain bread, whole wheat pasta, etc. The "healthy, whole grain" message, while a health disaster, is undoubtedly a commercial success.

I'll bet that our fat dietitian friend enjoys a breakfast of healthy, whole grains in skim milk, followed by a lunch of low-fat chicken breast on two slices of whole grain bread, and ends her day with a healthy meal of whole wheat pasta. She then ascribes her continually climbing weight and size 16 figure to slow metabolism, lack of exercise, or the once-a-week piece of chocolate.

Wheat has no role in the Track Your Plaque program for coronary plaque control and reversal. In fact, my personal view is that wheat has no role in the human diet whatsoever.

More on this concept can be found at:

What's worse than sugar?

The Wheat-Deficiency Syndrome

Nutritional approaches: Large vs. Small LDL

Are you wheat-free?

• Brock Cusick

12/20/2008 5:26:00 PM |

In your clinical practice, do you see good results from patients who continue to eat oats and/or brown rice as long as they cut out sugar, wheat and corn?

I ask because Dr. Weston Price's research found examples of cultures that used these grains (oats and rice) while continuing to exhibit signs of good health. He did not have access to modern diagnostics however, so perhaps he missed some indicators.

Kind regards,

Brock Cusick

• baldsue

12/20/2008 7:16:00 PM |

Each time I contemplated seeking advice from a dietitian, I changed my mind after I saw the dietitian and decided I was doing well enough on my own.  Never felt like I could believe or trust dietary advice from someone whose BMI was obviously higher than my own.

And I love my new flat stomach.

12/20/2008 9:44:00 PM |

My father had surgery 7 years ago at a well known Indianapolis hospital. During visitation I could not help but notice how overweight (some obese) the female receptionists and nurses were. They all looked to be in their early to mid 30s.I was speechless.

12/21/2008 7:40:00 AM |

that's what can happened even to a best-selling author of diet books http://tinyurl.com/8d4d4m

in my country there's a saying "a shoemaker that walks on bare feet"

12/21/2008 7:42:00 PM |

Long-term consumption of a carbohydrate-restricted diet does not induce deleterious metabolic effects

• Leniza

12/22/2008 5:51:00 PM |

I don't think that overweight dieticians (and nurses, and doctors)even follow their own advice. Not that that advice isn't garbage anyway, but I doubt that whole grains and lots of fruit and lean meats make up the bulk of their diets. It's probably more the case that these people aren't following the rules they give their patients (not that the rules would work, anyway). "Knowing" something and choosing to do it are two different things. I completely agree with you on sugar and wheat, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to indulge without guilt during the holidays (I don't have any health problems, though.)

It's like with smoking. People KNOW it's bad for them, but they still do it. I know several doctors who tell their patients to quit smoking, but who smoke like chimneys themselves. I used to work with a PULMONARY PATHOLOGIST who was a chain smoker.

• Jean-Luc Boissonneault

12/22/2008 7:40:00 PM |

Thank you, I'm so glad you said this! This makes me sick! I say practice what you preach or don't preach at all. At my personal training centre, my trainers are all in good shape. I tell them it's like a hopelessman giving financial advice.

12/23/2008 3:27:00 PM |

Dr. Davis, thought you'd find this interesting:

Journal reference:

1. Piconi et al. Treatment of periodontal disease results in improvements in endothelial dysfunction and reduction of the carotid intima-media thickness.

The FASEB Journal, 2008; DOI: 10.1096/fj.08-119578

• Ricardo Carvalho

12/29/2008 1:16:00 PM |

Dear Dr. Davis, I suppose the WHO wants everyone to be fat, don't they?! Nutritionists simply follow these poor recommendations. Who's fault? -> http://www.euro.who.int/nutrition/20030321_1

• extropolitca

12/29/2008 11:03:00 PM |

WHO is right in his recommendation.
    Right with the mean of the people living on Earth.
    I'm italian, living in Italy.
    Mediterranean diet (the real deal) is very good if you are a peasant in agricultural job doing hard work (4.000 Kcal/day). Than you can eat your pound or two a day of bread plus salami, cheese and olive oil and fruits, be full, lean and healthy.

You move to city, start to work in an office, cut all to 2.000 kCal/day proportionally and you find yourself hungry, gaining fat and lacking minerals and vitamins with the same diet.

• Juhana Harju

1/1/2009 1:22:00 PM |

This is a naughty blog entry... but I agree. Smile I have been pondering the same question.

While I approve the use of whole grains, I agree with Extropolitcan's view that reduced energy expenditure should lead to changes in diet. We should probably use more nutrient dense foods. I would also like to promote the idea of moderation, which is really a beautiful and positive idea, not appreciated enough in our Western culture.

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year,

Juhana Harju
    BMI 22

11/25/2009 5:35:44 PM |

I've seen more fat doctors than fat dietitians. I'm a dietitian and I'm at a perfect body weight, AND I follow my own advice, which is to eat in moderation. This is an extremely unfair stereotype to make. Between doctors and nurses thinking they know all about nutrition with minimal education in it, and patients asking for advice and then telling you that you're wrong right to your face, it's no wonder clinical nutrition has such a high burnout rate and low rate of job satisfaction.

5/13/2010 1:52:39 AM |

I'm a fat dietitian, and we fat dietitians know how much we are hated.

I find it interesting that the topic of "dietitians that follow their own advice" had to be written with such contempt. Consider the message your readers came away with...many commented on their contempt of fat people rather than grasping the diet advice you are promoting. "A naughty post" BMI 22 wrote. Why naughty? Because ridiculing someone for being fat is still acceptable behavior in this part of the world, even though we know we should not "throw stones". Consider promoting your message without inciting the contempt of others.

In addition, consider how being fat can't be hidden, the way other characteristics can. For example, what physical characteristics are required of a realtor, plumber, grocery clerk, insurance salesperson? It might not matter if they were fat since they are not dispensing "health" advice, but consider all of the unseen ways they might deviate from the norm.

7/6/2010 6:47:04 PM |

I'm a dietitian as well, and although not "fat", I find it challenging to maintain weight. This not because of any "bad" advice I'm giving, it's just the way life is sometimes.

That said---I hope that someday you are publicly ridiculed for something you struggle with. I hope you are ridiculed for your imperfections, which I'm sure you have. Dietitians aren't any more perfect than anyone else. Just because we understand the physiology behind things doesn't mean that life is any easier for us. Maybe the "fat dietitian" in the hallway has things going on in her life that you don't know about, and you should keep your "fat" mouth shut about it.

11/4/2010 6:34:29 PM |

• Michael Scott

10/1/2011 2:31:15 AM |

I'm 69 and have been on Atkins, level one, for a little more than eleven years.  I now consider myself a "former" overeater because as long as I remain below twenty grams of carbs per day, I'm totally in control of my eating.  Even after eleven years I understand that my chances of ever being able  to eat more than 20 grams of carbs per day will never happen!  Like an alcoholic, whenever I reach my "carb limit" I have to stop at that point.  I can't eat even a single bite of any grain products without "falling off the wagon".  A single bite of bread or pizza crust and I become an alcoholic with food!  I'm just amazed that more dietitians  are not overweight eating grains.  Anyone who can eat grains and still remain under 400 pounds has my admiration.

Mike Scott

10/1/2011 1:45:47 PM |

Hi, Mike--

Your experience is something like my personal experience, though my carbohydrate cutoff is around 30 grams per day. Some of us are just not equipped to handle the high insulin requirement, while others can get away with much more. Find your individual path and stick to it!

• Michael Scott

10/1/2011 3:21:52 PM |

This information is for the dietitian who suggested eating in moderation.  Is this the same advice we give to an alcoholic?  Do we tell them to drink in moderation?   About the only advice an over eater receives from a doctor or dietitian is:  Starve yourself for the rest of your life and don't forget to kill yourself exercising!  Now we all know that these may not be their exact words, but trust me that is exactly what an over eater hears just before going into “full panic mode”.  When my eating was “totally out of control”, I had as much chance of stopping at one slice of bread as a “down and out” alcoholic has of stopping after one drink!  Until we all understand this, there is almost no long term hope for a “fat” person.  We do not suggest that an alcoholic drink in moderation for a very good reason.  How can we advise someone with a major eating disorder to eat the very foods they are addicted too.  Had I not given up whole grains, fruit and any high carb vegetables, I would now be 400 pounds.  I learned this thanks to Dr. Atkins.  If not for him I wouldn't be here now.  How many 400 pound, 69 year old men do you know?  Moderation of grains/alcohol will never work.

Michael Scott (again)

10/2/2011 2:44:08 PM |

Well said, Michael!

You make a crucial point: How many 400 pound, 69 year old men do you know?

Bet you can't fast

Bet you can't fast

People who continue to consume the world's most destructive grain, i.e., wheat, can rarely endure fasting--not eating for an extended period--except by mustering up monumental willpower. That's because wheat is a powerful appetite stimulant through its 2-hour cycle of exaggerated glycemia followed by a glucose low, along with its addictive exorphin effect. Wheat elimination is therefore an important first step towards allowing you to consider fasting.

Why fast? I regard fasting as among the most underappreciated and underutilized strategies for health.

In its purest form, fasting means eating nothing while maintaining hydration with water alone. (Inadequate hydration is the most common reason for failing, often experienced as nausea or lightheadedness.) You can fast for as briefly as 15 hours or as long as several weeks (though I tell people that any more than 5 days and supervision is required, as electrolyte distortions like dangerously low magnesium levels can develop).

Among its many physiological benefits, fasting can:

• Reduce blood pressure. The blood pressure reducing effect can be so substantial that I usually have people hold some blood pressure medications, especially ACE inhibitors and ARB agents, during the fast since blood pressure will drop to normal even without the drugs. (A fascinating phenomenon all by itself.)

• Reduce visceral fat, i.e., the fat that releases inflammatory mediators and generates resistance to insulin.

• Reduce inflammatory measures

• Reduce liver output of VLDL that cascades into reduced small LDL, improved HDL "architecture," and improved insulin responsiveness. (The opposite of fasting is "grazing," the ridiculous strategy advocated by many dietitians to control weight. Grazing, or eating small meals every two hours, is incredibly destructive for the opposite reason: flagrant provocation of VLDL production.)

• Accelerate weight loss. One pound per day is typical.

Beyond this, fasting also achieves unique subjective benefits, including reduced appetite upon resumption of eating. You will find that as single boiled egg or a few slices of cucumber, for example, rapidly generate a feeling of fullness and satisfaction. Most people also experience greater appreciation of food--the sensory experience of eating is heightened and your sense of texture, flavors, sweetness, sourness, etc. are magnified.

After decades of the sense-deadening effects of processed foods--over-sugared, over-salted, reheated, dehydrated then just-add-water foods--fasting reawakens your appreciation for simple, real food. On breaking one of my fasts, I had a slice of green pepper. Despite its simplicity, it was a veritable feast of flavors and textures. Just a few more bites and I was full and satisfied.

Once you've fasted, I believe that you will see why it is often practiced as part of religious ritual. It has an almost spiritual effect.

More on fasting to come . . .

• Soul

5/26/2011 12:43:19 PM |

Thought this interesting, talking about wheat, saw yesterday on the news that NBC is hosting "health week" this week.  It is sponsored by General Mills, if I remember correctly, with emphasis on the importance of eating whole wheat for good health.

• Gene K

5/26/2011 3:56:41 PM |

1. Should I continue to take all my supplements and medications during fasting, e.g. Niacin, or does it depend?
    2. If upon fasting, satiety comes after eating a small amount of food, how do I make sure my nutrition is sufficient to maintain the muscle mass? How do you combine fasting and exercise?

• Joe

5/26/2011 4:52:26 PM |

Gene, my guess is that you can't. Or shouldn't. But then you're probably not going to fast for more than a few days at most, so going without exercise for a few days is probably not going to cost you any muscle mass.

I would also think it's probably okay to take your usual supplements, too.  Medicines may be a problem, depending on what they are.  People with serious health issues probably should avoid fasting altogether, unless under the close supervision of his or her doctor.

I'm interested in hearing what Dr. Davis has to say regarding fasting.  Hurry up doc!

Joe

• Kent

5/26/2011 5:22:21 PM |

Is it true that fasting can also improve LP(a)?

• Steve Cooksey

5/26/2011 8:27:45 PM |

Agreed Dr. Davis.

I am a big fan of intermittent fasting.... looking forward to more posts.

• Rob O.

5/26/2011 8:54:14 PM |

I've had a similar experience to your post-fast feeling upon eating by doing a 2 or 3 day liquid-only diet that's heavy on water and includes a large protein shake each day.  It's as though you have to periodically remind the part of your brain that listens to the stomach what "full" means.

Like the others, I'm very interested in what the doc has to say in the next article in this series!

• Paul

5/26/2011 9:28:09 PM |

To what extent does a person with impaired adrenal and/or thyroid function need to be careful when fasting or low-carbing?

• Mark. Gooley

5/26/2011 10:24:13 PM |

Type 1 diabetic for 40 years, and nowadays I eat about a thousand-calorie high-fat breakfast and a similar dinner.  I rarely eat lunch, and skipping breakfast (simply omit the pre-meal shot of insulin) as well is usually not a big deal any more: I do it occasionally.  Control of blood sugar is much easier now, and Hb A1c around 6 rather than over 10: still room for improvement.  When I was eating skimmed milk with Grape-Nuts or Uncle Sam (whole wheat flakes with whole flaxseed) for breakfast I would have blood sugars as high as 300 by mid-morning and a powerful hunger by lunchtime.  Whatever benefits fasting may have, I find it a lot easier now than it once was, and plan to try it more often, as I'm still overweight.

• Gene K

5/27/2011 3:07:21 AM |

Is snacking on raw green vegetables between meals also considered grazing?

• JLL

5/27/2011 11:22:09 AM |

I experimented with intermittent fasting (IF) for a little over a year. I first got interested in IF through calorie restriction (CR) -- there were a couple papers suggesting that you could extend lifespan through IF without the CR, which seemed like the perfect combination.

These papers are still quoted on many blogs, but I doubt many have actually read them, since none of them actually show you can increase lifespan without restricting calories. See this post for a more detailed analysis:

Anyhow, I still think there might be benefits for doing intermittent fasting -- though I've also seen some studies showing it might have negative effects as well -- and certainly it seems pretty good for weight loss. When I was on a high-fat, low-carb diet and fasting for 24 hours, then eating for 24 hours, I was the leanest I'd ever been. And that was without trying or counting calories:

And one more shameless plug, some tips for those who have trouble going without food for 24 hours (or more):

Personally, I never went for several days without food. I'm not sure it's needed for weight loss anyway, although it might have other health benefits.

- JLL

5/27/2011 11:40:28 AM |

Hi, Gene--

Green vegetables have no discernible postprandial chylomicron/VLDL consequence and is the exception. I'd consider that safe "grazing."

We usually hold niacin during a fast due to the fluid struggles, which can magnify the hot "flush." We usually continue the other supplements, however.

5/27/2011 11:41:49 AM |

Hi, Paul--

If not yet corrected, I don't think it would be a good time to fast, since you could feel pretty crumby during your fast.

Fasting should be a positive experience, not something to endure. I'd wait until these issues are corrected.

5/27/2011 11:45:56 AM |

Hi, JLL--

Agreed. In fact, I believe that the greatest benefits of intermittent fasting are the subjective benefits of reawakened taste and appreciation of food, rather than the physiologic benefits. Nonetheless, it makes sense that, since atherosclerosis and arterial dysfunction are to a large degree postprandial phenomena, prolonged "no-prandial" periods might facilitate arterial health.

• Carl N

5/27/2011 1:26:16 PM |

Is it possible that current wheat strains have been selected or genetically engineered to be addictive?

• Steve O

5/27/2011 4:36:54 PM |

Today's Urban Dictionary Word of the Day: Carb Coma -- The sleepy feeling after eating a large meal comprised chiefly of carbohydrates, whether in the form of rice, noodles, bread or dough.  "Dude, I was totally dozing at the office after that giant serving of chow mein for lunch. Total carb coma."

• Curtis

5/27/2011 6:12:12 PM |

I have been following Fast-5 for three years, and quickly got down to a healthy weight. I'm 58 years old and lost 25 lbs to get down to 160lb (5'-11''), and a reasonable BMI. I fast daily for 19 to 21 hours with absolutely no effort required - it is just the way I live now. During this whole time I have made no effort to restrict wheat in any way. I don't eat a lot of wheat and I don't eat it every day, but on the day after pigging out on pizza I have no trouble with my fasting. There's your black swan.

• Might-o'chondri-AL

5/28/2011 12:28:56 AM |

Ketone metabolites from Beta oxidation of fatty acid, B-hydroxy-butyrate , increase when fasting;  these metabolites act on visceral fat receptor HM74A. The result is upregulation of the anti-inflammatory  molecule adiponectin;  it (adiponectin)  also keeps less glycerols  (think of tri-glyceride group).

The increased adiponectin upshot is the white visceral adipose (not subcutaneous fat) does less lypo-lysis (fat cleaving) and there is a reduced level of free fatty acids going into circulation.  This relief, from excessive "freed" fatty acids ,  permits the response to insulin to improve (ie: sensitivity to insulin better) when go back to eating;  and the longer the fast went on for  the longer the boost of circulating adipinectins stays  around   than before.

Low serum adiponectin levels are common in the obese, hyper-glycaemic,  diabetic;  individuals with  hyper-triglycerides, coronary artery disease (and often even the children of  hyper-tensives.  Metabolic syndrome tends to low adiponectin and concurrent high levesls of circulating triglycerides.

The  actual anti-inflammatory action of adiponectin is a major  part of why the fast makes the body feel so much better;  the digestive  organ rest is given too much focus.   Many individuals report  " pain gone"  from diets  that favor more ketone derived energy
    production (like low carb,  calorie restriction &/or  ferments for gut bacteria) ;  because,  there too, the metabolite Beta hydroxy-butyrate is instigating more circulating adiponectin that  then stymies pro-inflammatory cytokines.

5/28/2011 3:08:20 PM |

Hi, Might--

You make a crucial point that, I believe, explains much of the benefits to fasting: via improvements in cytokine levels and tissue responsiveness, especially adiponectin.

Fabulous!

5/28/2011 3:09:26 PM |

Hi, Curtis--

Exactly. There are going to be exceptions. However, I speak for the 80% or more people who do indeed have addictive and appetite-increasing relationships with wheat.

• Shreela

5/29/2011 6:08:03 AM |

I wasn't able to fast when Dr. Davis started discussing it about 1-2 years ago. Most of my life, if I didn't "graze", I'd get hypoglycemic symptoms like my mother, and my paternal grandmother. My mother even got a note from my doctor that I had to have a sandwich before Jr high band practice, else I'd get headaches or light-headed - that's how long I've dealt with frequent hypoglycemia episodes.

So I came up with my own personal mini-fast-challenge. I would only eat when an actual hypoglycemic symptom happened, ignoring the regular hunger pangs. Then when I ate, I avoided sugars, starch and wheat - I did have a bit of rice though. I'm guessing it was about 3-4 days before I could go 5-6 hours with no hypoglycemic symptoms, and about 10'ish days before I could go 12 waking hours with no calories (I draink tea with stevia).

Looking back, both my parents' families ate lots of wheat: bread, biscuits, pasta, so that's probably what gave my paternal grandmother, mother, and then me our hypoglycemia. If I have a hypoglycemic symptom, I start my mini-fast-challenge again. I finally figured out my family's curse is wheat, so I avoid it except the occasional pasta dish.

• Paul Lee

5/30/2011 11:27:42 AM |

I followed the "East Stop Eat" approach a while back, with good results. I agree with one poster that said best to skip the breakfast insulin surge. In fact I think the whole "three square meals" with grazing in between, needs to be challenged (perhaps one meal a day). My guess is that humans are designed to go days without food and have plenty of energy. Its an ability that needs to be regained. Also I gather fasting is good for HGH response, especially if combined with resistance training.

• Matt Titus

5/30/2011 4:34:48 PM |

Dr. Davis, I have done intermittent fasting for a long time...so long, I have lost count but I think that it has been 4 years. I do my version on a daily basis so it I am not as strict as someone who does this occasionally. Now that being said, my final meal of the day is the meal that I begin my fast so I keep it as nutritious and ketogenic as possible. So, I eat my final meal at around 7:00 P.M. I don't eat again until 3:00 P.M. the following day. Eating is such a treat and I eat very tasty low carb food when I break my fast. I will have my morning coffee with heavy whipping cream and MCT oil. Or I will have a glass of water with MCT oil. I take my vitamin D at this time of day because it wards off any allergy bugs lurking in the air. This summer I would like to lose 10 lbs so I will just kick up my fasting method in intensify my diet by keeping it balanced between protein and fats.

I am not athletic in the least but I find that being active is not hindered during fasting. I strongly believe that we should not need to eat before exercise. Nor should we need to eat immediately after exercise.

• Mary Titus

5/30/2011 4:38:17 PM |

Sorry, I just noticed that post came up under my husband's name. That post on fasting should come up under my name Mary...I am the one playing flute.

• Mary Titus

5/31/2011 4:27:54 AM |

Yes, I do agree with you . I read about HGH becoming activated through a combination of fasting and resistance training.

• bbtri

6/6/2011 1:17:06 AM |

18 hour fasts are easy, 24 hour fasts are hard, but once I break the 24 hour barrier, another 12-16 hours isn't bad.  My diet isn't wheat heavy, but I certainly don't avoid it.  What works for me is moderate physical activity, which gets me over the hump.  The hump may be the switchover from carb burning to fat burning, which moderate activity of a couple hours duration trains the body to do.

• Whoosh

6/9/2011 6:36:41 PM |

I was quite sold on IF but keep finding conflicting findings, any comments on this http://chriskresser.com/blog/intermittent-fasting-cortisol-and-blood-sugar/ ?

• M R

6/29/2011 9:22:19 PM |

Please refer me to your source of  "wheat is destructive".  I have eaten Shredded Wheat breakfast cereal every day for 25 years.  It is the only breakfast cereal I am not allergic/sensitive to.  After eating it for breakfast, it fills me up and I do not eat again for 6 hours.  I understand about wheat products raising a person's glycemic index, but I have read that the fiber in Shredded Wheat takes so long to digest that it actually controls a person's blood sugar all day.
    I am a healthy, near ideal-weight 50 year-old female.  My experience finds this statement to be false: "wheat is a powerful appetite stimulant through its 2-hour cycle of exaggerated glycemia followed by a glucose low, along with its addictive exorphin effect".
    Thank you for your time.